Chapter 16

Alex's P.O.V

Flashback

"Please don't go back," Alice pleads with me. I smile sadly and place a soft kiss on her forehead.

" You know I have to. They'll hurt my family if I dont," I reply gazing into her chocolate, brown eyes. Her brown hair falls in soft waves down her back.

" Just... Be safe," she gets on her tippy-toes to kiss my cheek.

I turn at the last moment and capture her lips with mine. Our lips move in sync as she wraps her arms around my neck.

I smile against her lips and loop my arms around her waist, bringing her closer to me. I push her up against the door while she tugs gently on my hair.

I cup her cheek with my hand and we pull away simultaneously, panting for air.

" I love you," I press a loving kiss on her cheek. She grins and hugs me.

" I love you too," she whispers. We say our good-bye's and I head to the warehouse that the gang meets at.

***
"We told you not to tell anybody," Xander punches me in the stomach. I take the painful blow and stagger. I spit blood on the ground of his famous torture chamber.

" And now... She'll pay the price," They bring out a battered Alice. I leap towards her but the handcuffs stop me short.

" I'm sorry. Please don't hurt her. Do anything you want to me!" I yell in desperation. My walls come crashing down as I stare at a broken Alice.

" I'm afraid, It's too late," He pulls a gun out and holds it to Alice's head. Alice looks at me with love and defeat.

" I love you," She croaks out.

" I'm sorry Alice." Tears brim my eyes as I look at the girl I love.

" I love you too,"

He pulls the trigger and everything we've been through flashes before my eyes.

When I first met her, she looked at me with those big, brown eyes.

When we went on our first date, I realized she wasn't like all those other girls. Alice was sweet, fragile yet tough, and she didn't care about popularity, or looks.

When we said our first "I love you" 's on a beach. I knew she was the one. That I haven't loved anyone like I loved her. And I realized that I would never love any girl like I loved her.

" No!" I cry out as she falls to the ground.

My world shatters as I look into Alice's blank eyes.

Nothing will ever be the same again.

Flashback over

Tessa's P.O.V

" It's official. I'm going to kill him," I declare tearfully as Alex finishes his story.

I don't know what'd I do if I went through something so heartbreaking and traumatic. I don't tell him "I know how you feel", or " I'm sorry for your loss". Because I don't know how it feels. Yes, I have lost my mother, but I've never lost someone who I was in love with. And I know that people hate it when somebody tells them those things.

I pull Alex into a friendly hug on the couch. At first he stiffens, but after a couple seconds he relaxes and wraps his arms tightly around me. My back sends sharp spikes of pain throughout my body, but I ignore it. He sobs into my shirt and the boys leave us alone.

" Shh, Shh, Shh," I coo. I run my hand through his hair and rock him back and forth. I do the same with Amber when she has a nightmare.

Soon enough, soft snores sound from Alex's mouth with a hiccup once and a while. I count to twenty and pull away from him, holding my breath. I unwrap his arms from around my waist and set him down on the couch. I slowly get up from the couch and search for a blanket.

I eye a soft, blue blanket in a closet. I bring it to Alex and lay it on him. He snuggles into a pillow that's next to him. I place an affectionate kiss on his forehead and head upstairs.

" What are you going to do," I jump at the voice and turn to face Warren.

" What do you mean?"

" You and Amber are safe now. What are you going to do now," He watches me carefully with a guarded look.

" I don't think we'll ever be safe," I sigh.

" But now that you mention it. I'm thinking about moving. You know... Get away from here. From the bad memories," I shudder.

" What about your father," I tense at the name. He's right you know, a nagging voice in the back of my voice says. Shut up Voice, I scold.

" What about him," I snap. Warren visibly flinches and, I immediately feel guilt hit me like a tidal wave.

" I'm sorry. It's just... There's a lot more to my father than you know," I whisper the last part. Warren looks at me with confusion.

" I'll tell you all tomorrow," I tell myself mostly but Warren too.

He nods then looks at me with a nervous look. I know what he's going to say before he even opens his mouth.

" C-could you hear anything when you w-were in a coma," his voice tinged with hope.

" No," I lie and his face falls. He covers it up with a crooked smile, but I know he's devastated.

I don't want a broken heart. If we get together we'll just end up hurting each other. I closed off my feelings after Jake. I forgive him but like the saying goes, You Can Forgive But You'll Never Forget.

" We better get some sleep," I yawn. He smiles and ruffles my hair. I gasp dramatically and swat his hand away.

" Good Night, Sweetheart," He tiredly rubs his eyes, adorably. Warren blushes when he realizes what he said.

" I-I mean-"

" Right back at ya, Babe," I cut him of with a mischievous grin, and skip to where Amber is sleeping.

I kiss Amber on the head and she stirs in her sleep. I smile softly at her.

" You're safe now. I won't let them hurt you anymore," I whisper to her even though she's asleep. As if Amber hears me, she smiles softly.

For the first time, I know that Amber's safe for a night.

That's all I can ask for.

I lie down next to her and fall asleep with a smile.