ten

( DIVINER )

( DIVINER )

Her whole body was numb, ears hearing a painful ringing in them. She couldn't think as she felt for the first time she escaped the lab.

"So, you made it." She heard a deep, Australian accent come from in front of her. She could barley look up, but she hazily opened her eyes just a little to recognize the shoes.

"Get...get away from me." She coughed weakly, the man sighed, "Even though all the training I put you through, you couldn't survive this?" Even hearing the voice of her leader, triggered deep, dark memories in her mind that made her terrified. She couldn't even speak, in fears of the man and as she almost felt her last moments.

A door opened with a loud creaking sound, "Verena!" She had felt like someone called her name, but couldn't hear them as her ears were ringing. "She might die! We have to get her out." Gar told Dick quickly, who could barley pick himself up, Dick and Gar carefully picked her up, Dick helping her on Gar's back. He grunted as they started to leave, Kory and Rachel faces of concern written on their faces.

She was unconscious, Gar unable to focused as they got stopped by guards and nurses. "I got this." Dick had told them, breaking off a piece of metal as he started to attack them, using his swift skills and training, it was a painful sight to see, blood, screams and bones everywhere. When Dick had gotten to the last guy, the group had carefully made their way over them, "Get out of here," Dick's words were slurred, "Get Verena somewhere hot, and fast." Everyone nodded as Gar followed behind Rachel and a another woman.

Gar had glanced back at Verena's unconscious state, "You're gonna be okay, Verena. Please, just stay alive." He had prayed over and over.

《✩》

Verena woke up in a panic. Breathing heavily, the house shook a little but, causing Kory to rush to her side.

"Hey! Hey, it's okay, you're safe." She had immediately called Dick in the room, Verena took steady breathing treatments, causing her to calm herself down, body a little warm. "You're awake. How you feeling?" Dick had sat next to Kory, taking a look at her drowsy state. Her skin was returning to its color, eyes still had bags under them and lips still a light blue. She shrugged her shoulders, "My magic is going to be reduce for a while from whatever they gave me." She had played with her fingers,

"That's fine. We won't be fighting anymore soon." Dick had checked her temperature, still cold, not back to her body temperature. "We'll heat it up in here. You're still cold." Kory had turned up the temperature, Rena shifted uncomfortably, she didn't want to talk about what she saw, what she felt in those moments. Kory and Dick had sensed that, "We'll give you space. But, rest up." Kory had sent a soft smile to her and Verena nodded as they left the room. 

She looked down at her clothes, she didn't have on the old, dirty and torn up black and crimson sweater that she had on, instead she had on one of Gar's hoodies with grey sweat pants. She had heard chatter from somewhere in the house, sighing, her body ached as she carefully stood up.  She had on socks, basically covered to the core. Understandable, her body heat needed to be up and running so she could be completely healthy.

Verena had made her way into the kitchen quietly, seeing Gar, Rachel, Kory and Dick "Whos this?" She caught everyone's attention, "You're awake." Rachel she smiled, "Come sit." She pulled out a chair and Rena sat down, looking at the pancakes, eggs and bacon. "Verena, this is my mom. Mom, this is my friend, Rena." Rachel did a short introduction, "Nice to meet you, Verena ." Her mom had smiled, and Verena did the same.

"Back to the conversation, I was hoping that you...we...All of your are welcome there for as long as you want." Her mom had looked around at everyone, Verena picked at her breakfast, trying to understand what was going on. "I have more than enough room, it's the least I can do." She had finished up, "Although," She had added in, "I do wonder what happens to your home when you've been locked away for five years." She puzzled the question.

"Back taxes, tons of unopened mail, I imagine. What do you have in your fridge." Kory had asked her and she scrunched up her nose at the thought. "This could be, like, our secret base. Oh! This is so cool, isn't it?" Gar looked over to Dick, who looked at him puzzled, making Verena crack a smile. "Isn't it, Dick?" Rachel asked the man, who looked over to her and he just sighs.

《✩》

The sky was grey as little rain had fell. The team was now splitting up, which Verena was a little but sad about, she had her bags in her hand and backpack slinging across her shoulder as she sighed. "So what? This is, like, the end of the team?" Gar asked all of them, mostly to Dick and Kory.

Dick could only smile at the young boy, "Technically, we were never really a team—" Dick had said, "—Oh, we were a team." Kory had budged in, tugging a smirk to Dick who also did the same. "I'll see you all again sometime." Dick looked at all of them, "Rachel..." The girl had looked away from him, avoiding his gaze. As they started to part ways, Verena stopped and turned back to hug Dick. Which surprised the adult. "I'm gonna miss you." Verena had pulled back and Dick could only pout sadly at the teen. "You'll be fine." He moved her hair out the way to see her small smile.

Verena hurried back to where Rachel, her mom, Gar and Kory were waiting. "Well, let's start over. Again." Gar had chuckled at Verena and she just shook her head playfully as the group watched Dick hop in his car and drive off. Verena wondered what would happen to them now. They were all going they're separate ways. Kory was going to build a life for herself. The teens however, they didn't know what to do.

《✩》

A couple hours later and they were now sitting in the seats of the fast moving train. Rachel and her mom sitting together somewhere and Kory, Verena and Gar sitting together. "No sugar added, vegan vanilla pudding," Gar read off the menu as Verena continued to read her book that she almost finished. It was about 6:30 pm and they were almost at their destination.

"Designed to appeal those seeking a gluten-free, low calorie dessert. Sounds healthy." He grinned, "Sounds disgusting." Kory muttered out, tone a little harsh. Verena and Gar look at her, obviously confused. A train horn blows and Kory stands up, telling the two teens she'll be right back. "Let me see that." Verena places her book down and snatches the menu out of his hands as Kory had came back with two shots. "Hey!" Gar pouted by brushed it off.

"Rache just texted. Her and Angela got seats up front. Let's go." Gar started to get up, but Verena pulled him down telekinetically, making him scoff. "Let's not." Kory crossed her legs and sighed at them. "This whole train thing sounded way funner this morning." He says sadly, "Did it really?" Verena questions at him. Kory just tilts her head, "Those two need some time alone, don't you think?" Verena nodded in agreement. Gar had a hint of playfulness in his eyes. "Wanna play a game?" He asked them, "Play with your phone." Kory only smiled.

Verena just shrugged as she took in the different sounds, to heartbeats, to the train moving to even to the clinks of glasses. Resting her head in the palm of her right hand. She could only settle in her small seat, getting comfortable as she stared out the window.

[ehh .. this could've been better.]