Chapter 6

Wrenley's POV
"So how was the museum," Hannah asks awkwardly. She's trying to bring me and Matteo into the conversation since we've both been pretty silent.

We're in the middle of having dinner out on a terrace that looks directly towards the setting sun. I will admit, it's a beautiful view filled with colors normally saved for artwork. This spot also provides a much better view of the magical looking forest on the outskirts of the castle. That lovely home of trees, and who knows what else, is definitely being put on my list of places to go.

Nevertheless, it doesn't fully squelch my sour mood from earlier today. It's not like I care what the prickly jerk thinks about me. The man has a stick lodged up his butt and knows nothing about my life or who I am.

It's just that being cheated on and realizing how little you mean to someone can take a hit on your self esteem. There were definitely times in our relationship where I was pretending to keep him happy. In fact, Chris seemed to enjoy me more when I was playing the part he had started to construct in our relationship. How much was he pretending when it came to actually liking or caring about me? His feelings clearly weren't large enough to not go out and find someone else.

I don't want the man back, but theres that inner worry about being lovable popping up. Goodness Matteo, why did you have to say such a Jack Donkey thing in the first place?

Feeling the eyes of that very donkey on me, I look over. He's staring at me, and his look is almost one of regret, he must feel a little bad. If so, he should really learn to not treat people like that. Especially someone who's so kind and easy to get a long with.

You know what, I'm not going to let this man's bad judgement get me all down. Maybe later I'll go and talk to him, be the adult with communication. For now, I do the only sensible thing in the situation. I stick my tongue out at Matteo, before quickly looking over towards Hannah. The fact that his eyes stay a bit too focused on that tongue do nothing to me, I won't allow for it to.

"It was pretty interesting, definitely some bad.. energy," I look over at that energy. ".. In the doll room, but otherwise a fun trip," I report to Hannah.

Hannah looks over at me, somewhat concerned as she speaks, "Wrenley, I do hope you kept a safe distance from everything. Especially those dolls, I've heard a few horror stories from our citizens."

We both have watched a lot of horror movies together over the years, so we always have a more imaginative sense of what could go wrong. I may have played on that imagination in the past but I do agree you should be careful when dealing with the undead.

"Don't worry, there was a really nice worker there. A man with truly excellent taste, Mar...," I begin, being a bit dramatic in my retelling.

"Tosser," Matteo interrupts as he coughs to hide it.

Phillip smiles and looks over to Matteo, "What was that mate?"

Matteo gets a fake innocent expression while saying, "Sorry just had coughing fit. Excuse my interruption."

A cough? That lie and fake expression couldn't fool a child. Poor Mark, he too has made it to Mateo's bad side. The guard really needs to get better at meeting new people.

I give Matteo a quick look and go on, "Mark was kind enough to warn me about staying away from them, so I didn't get too close. Matteo, on the other hand, was bursting with excitement as soon as we entered. He got very close and comfortable with his little mini me's. So close, we may have to keep him out of the castle for a few days. Even weeks if we want to be safe."