Chapter 16

Wrenley's POV
As we reach Matteo's room, I can feel my heart beating about ten times faster than it normally does. This time I don't think it's just due to his hold on me, but because I know we're about to be a lot more honest than what's comfortable. I'd take arguments and banter over vulnerability almost any day, however, that will get us nowhere. And I'm starting to think I really would like to get somewhere with him.

Matteo walks towards his bed and I assume he's going to place me on top of it, instead he sits down with me still in his arms. He positions himself so that he can rest his back on the headboard before making it so that I'm practically straddling his lap.

I didn't think my heart could get any faster... well there it goes. Taking a deep breath in to let some of the darn tension out of my body, I notice that Matteo is looking at me with a taunting smile. This man knows exactly what effect he has on me.

"Am I making you nervous, sweetheart," he asks in a voice that says he already knows the answer.

"No sweetheart," I reply defensively.

Matteo's brow raises, either at my lie or the term of endearment. "I just don't know if this is the best way to sit if you want me to actually speak coherent thoughts," I voice, realizing from the look on his face that it probably wasn't the best thing to say.

"Which is because it's inappropriate and uncomfortable. You have really uncomfortable legs digging into me and it's distracting. That's all I meant so stop giving me that look," I try to lie but he suddenly breaks into a deep laughter.

"Yah. Yah. I'm real funny," I mumble but I'm trying to hide the smile that his laugh brought on. My body loves to have stupid reactions when Matteo is involved.

After his laughter has stopped, he looks at me with a little more sincerity, saying, "If it actually makes you uncomfortable, you're free to move. I just feel better when you're close, that's why I placed you here." How the heck am I supposed to say no to that?

Sighing, I reply, "It's fine, I guess I can stay here for you. It really not that bad." I move forward to support the idea that it's no big deal but it may have been by a bit too much. Matteo lets out a low "Fuck", as I start to feel something that's not his leg from  underneath me. Shoot! Shoot! Shoot!

"Wrenley," he warns in a low voice.

"Sorry! Oh my gosh I'm so sorry,"  I say, trying to move away, but movement seems to just be making him more tense. He lets out a few more choice words in a strained voice.

Then before I can even comprehend what's happening, I'm flipped over so that Matteo's body is leaning over me. His face gets very close to my own as he growls out, "I thought we were going to talk."

"We were, I wasn't trying to... I told you that sitting on your lap might not be the best idea," I explain in a very high pitched voice.

This time he lets out a chuckle that's not filled with any humor. Moving off, he lays beside me, now having his turn at taking some deep breaths. Seemingly talking to himself, he whispers out, "What the fuck are you doing to me?"

After he's calmed down, Matteo looks at me gruffly, saying, "Lets get this talk over with." Thankfully, I fight the smile that comes from his grumpy attitude. I doubt he would appreciate it.

"What were you wanting to talk about," I ask playing somewhat dumb. A large part of me doesn't want to be the first one to bring up my feelings.

"No, we're not doing that Wrenley. I can't beat around the bush here. Not when I'm constantly trying to stay in control just from being near you," he tells me sounding a little annoyed.