Chapter 10

Matteo's POV

We've been walking through the woods a little while, not finding any trace of Hannah or Wrenley. That is until we hear their chaotic laughter, and what sounds like a male voice, coming from the campsite. We start making our way towards it when we see them both talking to Samuel and one of my other men, Shawn. What the hell are they doing here?

They all are surrounding what looks like the bags that hold the tents we brought to sleep in. It seems that the guards are helping them set the tents up. That's a nice offer but they can get their own tents and find their own damn campsite while they're at it. I look at Phillip next to me and he doesn't seem to be too happy either. He's standing stiff as he watches Hannah and Shawn bent over close together trying to figure out where the pieces go.

"What's going on here," Phillip asks in a loud voice that he usually saves for trying to show his royal authority.

They must have not noticed we were here because they all turn to look at us surprised. Wrenley, who was squatted down right next to Samson, startles and falls back on her arse at the sound of Phillip's voice. If that woman is one thing, it's clumsy. It seems she's now staring at her elbow which looks to have gotten scratched when she fell back.

As I'm heading over there, Samson helps her up to her feet and begins to look at it.

"How much do you like your job, Samson," my voice resounds fearfully calm as both me and Phillip reach the group. I know he's only trying to help her, but part of me feels like I might explode if he doesn't start to distance himself, now.

"What," he asks with a small smile as he thankfully drops her arm and takes a step away.

"It's just a question you should consider since you seem to have  problems keeping professional boundaries," I tell him darkly, moving in between him and Wrenley. I then lightly grab her arm and check her elbow to see that it's bleeding a little bit. Fortunately it looks like just a small scrape.

Wrenley of course, yanks it out of my hands the next second, whispering, "I'm fine, Matteo. Stop being so freaking rude." Yah, that's not going to work for me.

"Don't pull away from me, sweetheart. I don't like it," I tell her quietly in her ear. She lets out a very quiet gasp that I definitely enjoy, but doesn't say anything else.

Phillip then clears his throat, bringing everyone's attention back to him, "What are you both doing here?"

"There were a lot of people who have started sleeping outside the castle in wait for the coming coronation. We were nervous with you camping in the woods behind it, having only one man for protection," Samuel tells him.

I roll my eyes, because as much as I want them to leave, I want everyone to be safe more. With the coronation two days away, I can just imagine the excited energy spread through all the of the Aurelian people. I can also imagine exactly what they'd do if they got a chance to get up close with the royals. It would be a nightmare.

To be honest, the person I should've been focused on as soon as we left the castle is Phillip. It was my job and main priory with  being the only guard. Nevertheless, I know that at least on this trip, he is not going to be the first person on my mind. That spot seems to have gotten reserved by the woman next to me. It's probably better if Samuel and Shawn stay.

Phillip looks at me, then to Wrenley and seems to agree. Turning back to Samson, he says, "Right, thank you Samson. When we were walking up we saw you... helping the girls to put up our tents." As he says helping, he stares down Shawn who is still standing right next to Hannah. Shawn gets the hint and steps away while Hannah just lets out a sigh. "Did you guys bring any of your own? We only brought three," he continues, appeased.