Chapter 20

Matteo's POV
Working out front today feels like a punishment even more so than usual. There's not as many people compared to a few days ago, but I have much less patience for the small amount that are here. It seems that working every day for the past few years is finally starting to take it's tole, or maybe there's just finally something I find more important.

"You look positively thrilled to be here," Samson quips as we walk the grounds. I was smart enough to get over my previous grievances after the ball, and forgo the firing and sending him away. For now at least.

"Positively," I mutter sarcastically. I honestly don't have any want to answer him more than that.

Wrenley is probably the only one that could make this enjoyable. I'm sure if she were here, she would be looking at each visitor and making random guesses about which one was a trained killer. Last night she told me that I was very brave to deal with assassins all day, especially with my lack of fighting skills. My explanation of my very real skills, and our country's strong lack of assassins, was cut off as soon as I mentioned the first part. Apparently, she didn't need to hear lies.

Samson gives a slight chuckle, "Matteo, I don't know why you do this when you clearly don't like it. Even before Wren, you didn't exactly enjoy your job or the people that you had to deal with."

"Because I'm good at it and Phillips needs someone he can trust," I answer bluntly. Samson is rarely the one to ask personal questions, I'd like him to remember that's why I can stand him.

"I hear you sir, but theres a lot of trustworthy men on this team. I don't think Phillip would be upset with you if you decided to not do it any longer. It's almost that time where the position for the security chair representative is open to change. We both know you already do half that job and it would suit you a lot more than this," he continues, and I nod my head, motioning that the discussion is finished.

I'm quite aware that it's the end of the term for the lazy old man who doesn't do his job. As far as I know, he's running for it again with no big competition. That position is a lot less time, no interaction with fans, and only a limited amount of energy spent dealing with the guards. It honestly sounds perfect, and that's without adding in the fact that I really enjoy the process of coming up with the security details.

Even so, it's hard to not ignore this opportunity as I have the countless other ones that Phillip and my parents have brought up. I don't like the thought of me not being around to guard and making sure people stay in line. There's always a need for someone to take the unenjoyable job of keeping everything and everyone together. If I start going after what I want, I fear the chaos and the results that my self-serving choice could bring. Still, the thought of switching jobs has been popping up a lot more recently.

A sound comes from my phone, bringing me out of my thoughts, and reminding me of the one form of selfishness I don't mind taking part in. Hoping the message is indeed about Wrenley, I check to make sure my surroundings are clear, before looking down at it.

PHILLIP
Stop bothering me. She is doing great and you can ask her about it later. Let me pay attention to my meeting.

I guess he's finally noticing the multiple texts I sent out, inquiring and later on threatening about the meeting. I honestly would be in that damn room if I didn't have to deal with guard duties or the worry that it might make Wrenley more nervous. I didn't like the self doubt I saw on her face today, and I will get rid of just about anyone who might make it pop up again. Including the arses that usually take up those meetings.

The fact that all Phillip can give me is that short text doesn't make me feel much better. I'm almost tempted to try and switch duties to be near Hannah, so that I can question her instead. I'm somehow quite sure that the questions she's surely asking about today, won't go unanswered. What a biased prick my best friend is.