Chapter 9

Wrenley's POV

I can't stop staring at him. The man who is usually dressed in his guard uniform is now wearing a tight black shirt and form-fitting jeans. Both of which fit him like a freaking glove. I feel like a little stalker, but apparently not stalker-ish enough to look away. Lets just hope I've suddenly become good at being subtle and he doesn't notice.

We've been sitting in this off-the-road-jeep for about an hour, slowly making our descent deeper into the woods. I'm excited to see our destination and I've loved seeing nothing but trees greeting us as we pass by. What I don't love is that my eyes keep falling to the man who's sitting next to me. Rather than take in the scenery or even read the book I brought along, my focus is on the other person in the back seat.

The completely educational read I have with me is an intriguing Alien Why-Choose Romance. This would be the sort of book that would normally have all of my attention. Yet, I haven't even been able to read a single page on this trip. What the heck is going on with me?

I look over to Matteo again, only this time he's already staring over. Being caught, I quickly look down but can still feel his eyes on me. Those eyes must stick like glue, because even after several moments, they still don't go away.

"Stop watching me, you creep," I whisper, trying to not sound like I've been repeatedly doing the same.

He just smiles which is pretty unfair from how good it looks on his face. Good thing for my sanity it's not directed at me too often. He then whispers back, "Sorry I was just returning the favor."

Well, I guess he noticed me. Now he's probably noticing how my face is starting to burn a bright shade of red. I quickly look at my book and pretend to be reading it. I know I can argue with this man like there's no tomorrow, but right now I'm feeling a little flustered. I don't think a heated argument would help that.

I keep pretending to read, and the car is quiet besides Phillip and Hannah's chatter coming from the front. Then Matteo asks, "What are you reading so intently over there?"

"Nothing," I say and quickly shut my book. What I said is technically true because I haven't even been reading. It's not the reason I said it though. I am in no way embarrassed about my book choices but I don't exactly want to explain this one to Matteo.

Too bad for me, Hannah overhears the conversation. "Is it the alien romance you were talking about earlier," she questions with teasing in her voice.

"Alien romance," Matteo and Phillip inquire at the same time.

"Um yes, that is the one I'm reading at the moment," is all I respond with.

"What is the book about again," Hannah continues while trying to act all sly. She knows what the book is about. Even if she didn't, I'm quite sure Alien romance is pretty comprehensible.

"You know... human girl and aliens find out their mated. They travel along the the other planet and do mated things. Just the usual stuff," I explain, my voice getting a little higher at the end. I want to know why I'm so nervous when I usually love talking about my books. A good guess would be that it has to do with the man next to me.

Phillip, sounding a little surprised, asks, "She mates with an alien?"

I then say something I could have left out, "Actually she mates with three aliens." Why did I add that? I don't know.

"Three," Matteo asks. I just nod my head but say nothing more. I feel like this book isn't that crazy and that we should really just drop it now. Matteo not agreeing with my thought, continues, "Why don't you read the page you were on? I'd love to know more about this Alien romance."