chapter 38

Okami's pov.

We were finally able to fully cure Kankuro from the poison in his system. He was going to make it. I only wish I knew about Gaara's where abouts. Right now, Sakura and I were making some more antidotes for when we went into battle while Kaden inspected Kankuro. The tension in the air was thick. I could tell Sakura and the others wanted to talk to me about what I had said to lady Chio.

"If you have something to say, come out with it already." I told her without looking up from my work. "Ah oh um, well what you said.." she trailed off nervously. Tamari let out a sigh and spoke her mind, interrupting Sakura, "We never knew you had any other brothers. Let alone that he was killed, and by a former member of my village no less.." I looked over at her and saw that they all wanted more than just that. "Well, to be honest, I have three older brothers. My eldest brother, Trent, was killed by Sasori's poison." I told them.

"And what about your other brothers? When you left, the only siblings we knew of were your younger brother and sister." Naruto joined in the conversation. "Well, just after the loss of Trent, my second brother went missing. All that was left was a massive puddle of blood. Then Orochimaru attacked us. He killed my grandfather and threw my last brother off the side of a rocky cliff into the ocean." They all had a look of horror after hearing about my brothers.

"Orochimaru.." Naruto said, clenching his fist. "My parents adopted all of us from our clan. Even so, it's not an easy topic, so I don't really talk about it." I said as I continued with my work. "Adopted? Right, your biological parents were.." Sakura began. "I'm sorry you have to go through with this, Okami. We didn't mean to bring back bad memories." Tamari said with a saddened expression.

"My two older brothers are alive. I found them three years ago." I said bluntly. "What!?" ,"Unfortunately to stay alive from their injuries, their were forced into a line of work that makes them sick to their stomach." I said as my face became sour. "When we're done with this, I plan on freeing my brothers.." "Well if you need anything, you can count on us!" Naruto said with a thumbs up. "Thanks, but I don't want to drag you into my family problems. This is something I need to take care of myself." I smiled at him. They all gave me worried looks, and I'm not sure how to take this. "Please focus on the situation at hand." I tried to get out of the awkward position I was in.

I can't put my pack mates in trouble. I already have my family dragged into this ditch. This is our problem, not theirs. Besides, they need to focus on the upcoming battle. They don't need even more problems. I thought as I continued to work on the antidote. The sooner we finish this, the sooner we can go look for Gaara and save him.

Finally, Kankuro regained enough strength to talk to us, though it wasn't much but enough. I could see the hurt and guilt in his eyes. I could tell he was very upset about the fact that he couldn't save his little brother. I knew exactly how that felt. The feeling of not being able to do something when you're right there, and yet, you weren't able to do anything.

"Kankuro, your people need you. Now more than ever. If you were to abandon them right now, think of how disappointed Gaara would be in you." I told him. He took my words into consideration as he gave us a piece of fabric from the enemy's clothing. "That's all I was able to get. I'm sorry it's not more." He said as he slowly rested on his pillow. I gave him a bright smile. "This is more than enough! Don't worry, I'll bring Gaara home safely." He gave a small smile, "I know you will."

After some more discussion, we finally decided to depart. "Kaden, I want you to stay here for when and if Naomi comes back. I also want you to help the sand with any injured they may have, mainly Kankuro." I told the young healer. "Aye, sensei." He said with determination. "Koda, you stay too. I want you to help them rebuild. And once they've recovered enough, help them find us by tracking us." I turned to the tracker. He gave me a firm nod. "Great, I'm being babysat by a twelve year olds." We heard Kankuro grumble, which made all of us chuckle and giggle.

Time skip.

We were rushing, me tracking the scent of the Akatsuki members, desperately hoping to catch up to them to save Gaara. I was also a bit worried about the fact that we might run into Gray or Chase. My mind wasn't with me entirely. "..ami! Okami!" I snapped back to reality and stopped in my tracks. That's when I realized I was ahead of everyone. "Okami, you need to calm down. You're overusing your energy. You'll exhaust yourself before the battle even begins." Kakashi scolded me.

I looked down in frustration and ashamed of my actions. I felt a hand on my shoulder, which made me look up at the masked man before me. "Okami, I understand what you're going through." His words angered me as I slapped his hand away. "You don't understand anything, Kakashi. This scent, this poison, this fighting technique, it's all belongs to the very man who took the life of my brother. My family was torn and broken because of him." Kakashi and the others seemed taken aback by my outburst.

"Okami.." Naruto breathed out. "Kakashi, my mother is a jenchuriki. The Akatsuki are after her as well, but right now, their targeting someone very dear to me. I know Gaara is strong, and all, but not even he can handle those people on his own." I felt tears forming in the corners of my eyes. "Okami, I don't understand what you're feeling right now, but I do know it's very difficult for you to handle all on your own. I'm simply letting you know that we're here for you. So there's no need for you to carry all of this alone." Kakashi said sternly. I felt somewhat more at ease after hearing his words and more ready to save Gaara.

"Okami, you sure care a lot for Gaara, don't you?" Sakura said with a suggested smirk. I looked away from her, not wanting her to see just how right she was. "I don't like what you're implying." I grumbled as I went on ahead, while Sakura let out a giggle. Damn. Am I that obvious? This isn't like Bella and Ibiki. This is an outcast, and the Kazakage we're talking about! My mind began to wonder. Will I ever have the courage to tell Gaara my true feelings? Will I even get the chance to tell him? I'll just have to see what lies ahead.

T. B. C.