the sixth.

Neruda University School of Law

Jurisprudence and Legal Theory 201

Dr. Zaain Kazem

15 weeks left of the semester

"You've been getting quite absentminded in class lately and I will not tolerate it. It's already enough of a pain to have you here."

Instead of giving me a snappy comeback as usual, she just sat there. Clutching her throat and breathing asthmatically. And the way she just disappeared, staring into nothingness. It scared me. She went somewhere deep, somewhere dark.

It really, really scared me.

"Adeola!" I shook her shoulder but she still wouldn't snap out of it, "What's going on with you?"

Does she have any allergies or illnesses? I should have read her file... No one has been here long enough that I've had to worry about it.

She suddenly brought herself out of it, inhaling a sharp breath.

She jumped up and scrambled for her things, shoving her writing utensils into her bag without putting them away properly. As she jammed her notebooks away, loose papers fell to the ground, swaying side to side in the air.

I went to pick them up and we both reached at the same time and she jerked her hand away. It was soft but so cold and shaky. I looked up at her but she kept her eyes to the floor, "Adeola? Are you feeling alright? Talk to me."

She didn't answer, didn't even look at me. Just packed her stuff away and practically ran out like she wanted to get away from me so badly.