the twenty-eighth.

141 Water Street #5039:35 PM10 weeks left of the semester

9:35 PM
10 weeks left of the semester

Should I keep the wine out of the fridge?

I know that she said that she was wanting to drink some but maybe it would be a little strange to just have it out already. She might not want it immediately or she might've been joking about it entirely.

I'm still trying to figure her out and in the meantime I don't want to take any missteps. She is much too precious and I have a burning desire to know more about her.

Just as I put the bottle in the fridge, she knocks at my door and I feel a rush of nervous blood flare in my face like an allergic reaction.

I open the door and oh my god I don't think I will ever get used to her beauty. There's literally no amount of military training in the world that could prepare me for those eyes.

"Good evening, Dr. Kazem."

"Hi, Miss Adebayo... uh- come in!"

Relax, be cool.

She brushed by me slightly as she entered, giving me a delicate smile that made the corners of her eyes crease in the cutest way.

Making her way to my kitchen, she let her fingertips slide against my countertop, "Hey, where's my wine?"

God damn it.

"In the fridge, let me get you a glass." I step in front of her and grab one of my more fancier looking glasses and I can feel her eyes on me and I can only wonder what she may be thinking.

I set her glass before her and she giggles, "Is that a wine glass or a wine bowl?"
Her laugh is so damn cute.

"Are you trying to get me drunk, Kazem?"

"No, no. The wine is halal... I can get you a different glass if you-" she puts her hand on mine, "It's fine, I was just joking."

I can feel his pulse thumping in his veins

So nervous already.
Shifty eyes.

"Oh, okay. Sorry, I'm really dumb when it comes to jokes."

Ease him up a little.
I open his meticulously organized fridge and grab the wine.

"How were your prayers?"

He pushes his hands into his pockets. Timidity. "They were just fine, thank you." he responded.

I twist the top open and let the wine glug into the glass and I try to ignore his stare pressing into the side of my face, "Now, are you going to be nice to me tonight..." I let the glass fill just under halfway, "or are you going to let me drink alone?"

"Yeah, I'll have some too, sure."

"Okay," I smile up at him, "We can share. No need to dirty another glass, right?" I lift the brim up to his lips, tipping the glass into his mouth.

His Adam's apple bobs up and then back down as he takes a silent gulp. Then he shakes his head.

I smile at him, taking a sip for myself. It really is delicious.

He clears his throat and swiftly changes the subject, "So, do you want to tell me about your alternative plan for the essay?" he asks, sitting down at one of the stools at the bar.

"Sure." I sit down next to him, placing the glass on the counter and sliding it over to him, "So, I know this sounds a little crazy... but I think we should just scrap the entire assignment."

He furrows his brow and his mouth cracks open but I interrupt him before he can shoot my idea down, "Wait– hear me out. I'm not saying that you need to get rid of it completely, just maybe renovate the idea a bit. Instead of just a monotonous essay—no offense—we can add a little color to it, you know?"

He raises his brow at me in intrigue, "What are you suggesting?"

I continue, "We could let students rewrite laws of past civilizations or better yet, let them make their own set of laws based on the idea of legal positivism. Let them be inspired by John Austin, Bentham, Comte. It'll put more into perspective that there will always be unforeseen outcomes no matter how much you plan or govern. What do you think?"

He ponders the idea for a moment, "Miss Adebayo, that's a fantastic idea. Maybe you should take my job," he chuckles, "I would've never thought of that in a million years."

"No way. You're a fantastic professor, even if you don't see it." Flattery. Whether or not that's true or not, it didn't matter. It made him smile and that means I'm off to a good start already, "Also, you don't have to keep calling me Miss Adebayo."

His eyes widen slightly, "I don't?"

I shake my head, "Unless we're in class, it's Adeola to you. Got it?"

Familiarity. Makes them feel a special sense of priority.

"I can do that, as long as you call me Zaain."

That's it, baby. Get comfortable.

"Not a problem," my eyes fall to the glass, "Are you going to drink that so that I can have my turn, Zaain?"
I make sure to put just a drop of seduction in my tone when I say his name.

"Yes, yes," he takes a shaky sip and hands it to me.

I take a long sip bringing attention to my lips, "S0, you really like my idea?" I don't break his eye contact but he won't meet mine for longer than a few seconds.

"I do. Thank you for proposing it Miss- uh, Adeola, and thank you for coming over. We can work on it more in-depth after class tomorrow. I'm sure the students will be very pleased."

Oh no, you're not getting rid of me that easily, Kazem.

I step towards him to probe his nervousness, "Can I be honest with you, Zaain?"

"Y-yeah, of course."
A little tongue-tied, are we?

"I didn't just come over here to talk about essays or to drink your wine..."

He doesn't move his hand from my touch, he's stiff as a board, "N-no?"

I shake my head, smiling at him sweetly.

Pupils dilating.

I gingerly slip the glass out from between his fingers, making sure to graze his hand generously.