the twenty-ninth.

[REDACTED]

[REDACTED]
-28.731380, 29.186560

"Mama, he was just being friendly."

Her lips curl into a frown as she watches him stroll down the street from the window, "Friendly? How can he be a friend? He's a boy. Boy friends turn into boyfriends."

"He wasn't looking at me in that way."

"Of course he does. All boys do. They are all looking for the same thing. Doesn't matter how you raise them, it's in their blood..." Mama lets the curtain fall closed, "Primates." She mutters under her breath.

"I swear he was just helping me load the bags into the house, he didn't even ask me for my name..."

She looks at me as if I had just disrespected her to the highest degree, "Do you want to end up like your sister, Amahle?"

"Mama, please!"

"First, it was just "being friendly", then she's drugged, molested and left for dead in a ditch in the middle of nowhere. Is that what you want?"

"Mama! You don't need to talk about my sister like that."

"Shut your rat mouth! You wouldn't be standing here without me. Maybe I couldn't save her but I saved you and you have the guts to defy me?" she kisses her teeth, "All of this suffering that I have endured for your sake and this is the amount of respect that you have for me."
No! Please don't do this. Not today! I've been so obedient. I've done everything you've wanted me to do, don't do this now!

I lower my head to demonstrate shame and remorse, "I'm sorry, Mama. I didn't mean to be disrespectful. I have so much respect for you and everything you've done for Amahle and me-"

She puts a hand up, "I am warning you. Don't talk to anybody unless I say so, especially not any boys." she grabs my face, squeezing my cheeks tightly, "And don't you dare let any of those filthy creatures in my house ever again. Do you understand?"

I nod slowly.

"Speak!"

"Yes, Mama. Never again."
Please, please, please accept my apology.

She analyzes my face and I try to not seem so agreeable.

"I think you need to stay with me for another week- no two weeks! We'll see if you want to bring another boy into this house again after that."

I don't dare argue. It will only make everything so much worse.

"Let's make this clear: Men are naturally perverts. Even the most innocent intentions are not innocent to them. Am I right?"

"Yes, Mama. You're right. You're always right."