the twelfth.

Neruda University
Obomsawin Ladies' Dormitories
8:01 pm
13 1/2 weeks left of the semester

For the first time since classes started, I finally had a night free of my usual academic duties.

Problem is, I don't know what to do with it. I haven't really had any time to adapt or do anything else because I've just been so focused on Kazem and his class on top of my academics.

Then I remembered Ilya. I pull out my phone and text him.

Hey, stranger.

He responds almost instantly:

–Adeola?? Do my eyes deceive me?

It is me. You said that if I had time to hang out that I should text you. I have time now. Got any plans tonight?

Typing...

I fear that I'm too much at times but if I want to keep up, I have to match his energy.

–Not anymore

What do you mean not anymore, haha?

–Shh just come over here girl

*Ilya* has shared a location with you

📍The House of Internationals
400 Boaz Ave, BC V6H 3N1, Canada

Neruda University - Off-Campus
The House of Internationals
49.2306° N, 133.4460° E
8:31 pm

When I found the place, it's as big and impressive as the other structures on campus. I pulled at the wrought iron gate but it was locked so I called Ilya.

He picked up after a few rings, "Hey, where are you?"

"I'm outside but I can't get in, the gate's locked."

"Locked? Wait, what entrance are you at?"

"Uh..." I looked up and a copper sign with EAST ENTRANCE engraved into its face dangled above me, "I'm at the east entrance."

"Ah, okay. I'm sorry sweetheart, I forgot to tell you where to go. I'll be right down. Stay on the phone."

After a few moments the huge wooden door behind the gate opened and Ilya emerged. His hair was swept back into a bun and a baggy Molchat Doma tee hung from his body. He smiled when he saw me and hung up the phone.

I held onto the bars of the gate and shook them as if I was a prisoner, "Ilya! You came to bail me out!"

"Hey, my girl." he laughed as he opened the gate and let me in, "Next time, go around and through the west entrance, okay? They always keep this locked for some reason. My bad, it slipped my mind to even tell you."

"Next time? Who said that there will be a next time?"

He shoved his hands into his pockets and shrugged. Timidity. He wants to take it back.

"I meant, if you ever are freed from the beastly clutch of Kazem again."

We kept eyes and then I just laughed.

He smiled in amusement, "What's funny?"

"No, nothing. You're cute..."

Raised eyebrows give way to flushed cheeks then...rouge.

Surprise.

Silence.

Eye contact.

"Are you going to keep staring at me or are we going to do something?" I suggest.

"We can do whatever you want. Actually, you know what? Tochi and Olamide are watching TV downstairs, you should meet them."

"Like I said, I didn't leave Nigeria to meet more Nigerians. Besides, I have all semester to get to know them. I came here to know more about you." I brushed my hand against his arm, looking at his eyes, down at his lips and right back up to his eyes again. Psychology.

"Can I see what your room looks like?"

He looked into me, black camera lenses surveying me. They search for answers, but there are none on my face. I've scrubbed true intention from there long ago.

"Sure, if you want." He sounds nonchalant, but he's not. I can hear it in the undertone of his voice. I can see it in the tiny movements of his body. He tries to keep up with me. He wants to see my cards before he makes a move.

Something that helps me fight my nerves around people who have bigger personalities than me is to make them believe that you are even more extroverted than they are. But have them believe that you do it effortlessly, like you're giving as little energy as possible to keep the interaction going.

Mama told me this. Always do your best but never let anyone know that that is your best.

Because there's one thing that people fear more than greatness.

Potential.

"Of course I want! I need to see where the famous Ilya Erzhanov lives!"

"You know, you pronounce my name so well. Almost no one can-"

He talks too much when he is nervous. Note.

I take his mammoth hand and pull him up the stairs and inside the building, "Come on! Ilya's room! Ilya's room!"

"Okay! Right up the hall, first door on the right."

"First door on the right! First door on the right!" I chanted as he opened the door.

"Are you drunk or something?" he chuckled, shutting the door behind us.

Distract.

I kick off my shoes, "I'm just enjoying one month of being in a foreign country. One month of enduring Kazem's torture," I jump onto his bed, "and one new friend!"

He watches me find my footing on his bed.

Hands on his waist. Chest open. Alert. Suspicious.

Distract!

"Yeah? I guess that is cause for celebration."

I feel a sudden burst of adrenaline spread to every limb of my body. I'm invigorated by my own words. Maybe I am a bit drunk on this feeling, "Yes!" I assert, "Come! Jump with me!"

"If both of us jump on the bed, we'll break it."

I stop jumping immediately and look him dead into his eyes, "So what? We're gonna break it anyway at some point."

He cocks his head like a confused dog and his lips spread into a cheeky grin, "Did Kazem slip you a perc or something?"

I jump onto him and wrap my arms around his neck, landing a kiss onto his lips without warning.

He starts to kiss back but I pull away. He just blinks at me. Strong arms wrapped around my hips as he holds me and looks up at me with perplexed awe, "What has gotten into you?"

I just giggle and squeeze myself out of his grasp, letting my body fall backwards onto the bed. My chest heaving exhausted breaths. Arms spread wide, welcoming oxygen into my lungs.

I could feel my objective slipping away from me already.

And it fucking felt good.

———
Don't forget to vote, whores!