the thirty-fourth.

Neruda University - Off CampusThe House of Internationals - Gym9 weeks until the end of the semester

The House of Internationals - Gym
9 weeks until the end of the semester

"Maybe you should just quit, sweetheart." he grunts before letting the barbell hit the floor.

"Even if I wanted to, I literally can't. Having an on-campus job is one of the conditions of my scholarship."

He looks up at me, sweeping a raven lock behind his ear, "I can get you a job with me in the department office. You'd be filing papers and fetching Timmies all day but hey," he smiles, "at least I'll be able to see you all day."

"Timmies?"

"Tim Hortons, the fast food chain?" he picks up a set of dumb bells, "Come on Adeola, you've had to at least seen one by now. It doesn't really get more Canadian than that."

"Don't blame me! All the work I do hasn't left me any time to explore."

He puts the weights down, "That's okay. I'll just have to be your tour guide, then."

I feel my lips curl into a smile and I start laughing, "You?"

"Absolutely, me! Hey!" he pulls me into his body and our chests press into each other, "What's funny, mm?" he taunts, smiling down at me. His eyes glazed with mischief like when he tickled me to death on his bed.

"Nothing–" I force my laughs down, "Nothing, it's just kind of funny thinking about you taking me out to a fast food restaurant."

His eyes widened, "Oh... you want me to take you out, Adeola? Like on a date?"

My breath catches in my throat, "No, not like that I just meant...like going out together."

"Good, because when I do take you on a date, I'm going to take you to a much better place."

Hot rouge bleeds through my cheeks and the walls of my chest contract at his words and for once I don't know how to respond and I don't like that.

Upright posture

Open chest

Direct eye contact

He's undeniably confident and serious about it.

He claps his hands together, "Alright, let's get you to do another set of hip thrusts with the heaviest weight you can handle, then we'll call it a day. Sound good?

I nod and sit down with my back leaned up against the bench, assuming the starting position.

He rolls the barbell over my legs before taking my hands and placing them in the correct gripping position, his grasp both firm yet gentle.

I start to lift the weight with my hips and after a few repetitions I can already feel the targeted muscle fibers tearing away from one another. Damn, am I that out of shape?