Annulment (Edited 10/30/23)

"Anessa Goldstein! I hereby announce that our engagement be annuled!" Prince Leopold's voice boomed in the entire ballroom.

The ball became dead silent as the nobles stopped their dancing and chatting. Everyone was shocked at the prince's announcement. They stared at the three people standing in the middle of the ballroom.

Prince Leopold stood tall and intimidating, staring at the stock-still girl across from him. Behind him is another girl with teary eyes clutching his arm.

"I have enough of you Anessa Goldstein! You are an awful girl for bullying my sweet Marianne! I can't have a vile girl like you as my future Queen! Marianne will take your place! What do you have to say for yourself?!"

The girl standing across the prince is Anessa Goldstein. At the moment, it seems she was stunned speechless by what she just heard from the prince's booming announcement. Suddenly, her body started trembling uncontrollably.

"Your highness Prince Leopold! That is not true! I did not bully Marianne! Did that lowly commoner tell you that?! She is a liar! She is trying to steal you away from me by acting innocent! As your fiancee, please believe me!" Anessa yelled out, bursting into tears.

Prince Leopold looked at her in disgust and gave sneered disdainfully.

"Marianne did not tell me anything! I have witnessed your actions myself along with my friends! Also, you are no longer my fiancee! Marianne will be my future Queen!" The prince loudly declared.

"His Majesty will never approve of this! He would never allow a lowly commoner to be a part of royalty!" Anessa said angrily, tears streaming down her face.

"Actually he did! Father approved of me breaking ties with you due to reports of your appalling behavior! He also said a Saintess as my fiancee is better than a weak Duke's daughter! Now, get out of my sight or else I have the guards drag you out and throw you into the dungeon!" Prince Leopold yelled harshly towards her face.

Anessa cries and immediately ran out of the ballroom. The sounds of her cries became quieter the further she went away. The nobles watched her go with looks of disgust. Once she left, the nobles resumed chattering among themselves

"Umm...Your highness Prince Leopold," Marianne said shyly beside him.

"Yes my dear Marianne? And please call me Leo like I told you before," Prince Leopold said gently to the love of his life.

"Okay...Leo...um I feel kind of bad for Lady Anessa. I think what you said was very mean," said Marianne with a concerned look.

"My dear, don't ever pity that wench. Never speak of her again," said Prince Leopold with finality.

"Okay...Leo." Said Marianne hesitantly.

Suddenly, three young men approached the couple. They are part of the prince's entourage.

They are Wilder Goldstein, Keenan Hilder, and Matthias Scott. Wilder is the son of the Duke and Anessa's older brother. Keenan is the son of a Marquis and Matthias is the son of a Viscount.

"I saw my brat of a sister leave the palace and went outside. I doubt she left the premises because the ball is still ongoing so our carriage will not be back for the next hour. I hope she freezes out there," Wilder said coldly.

Marianne gasped at what he said.

"But if she freezes, she will get sick!" She told him earnestly.

"It's better if she dies from the cold so that we wouldn't have to deal with her anymore," piped up Matthias, scoffing crudely.

Keenan nodded," I agree." He said.

"What?! We need to bring her back inside!" Marianne cried out in worry.

"My dear.... why do you care so much about that girl? She was cruel to you," Prince Leopold asked, annoyed about discussing Anessa.

"Because I believe everyone deserve a second chance," Marianne answered him confidently.

The four young men look at her in disbelief at her answer.

"Please bring her back inside," Marianne pleaded to her beloved Prince.

Prince Leopold seems to have an internal battle. The couple stared at each other for a moment. The others watched their exchange, unwilling to break the silence.

"Alright," Prince Leopold agreed reluctantly, "We will bring that....villainess back."