For Our Bonds

The next day we didn't hesitate to prepare for our journey back to The Demon Kingdom but first Yozak was kind enough to craft a new crib for Lyla's baby brother. He looked a lot happier in his new bed.

"Thank you for making this for us, Yozak" Lyla thanked happily, "it's extremely well made".

"I envy the woman you make your wife" I joked teasingly.

Yozak flushed beet red before looking away embarrassed, "Oh please, it was nothing", scratching the back of his head.

I giggled then I heard a cart outside, turns out that under the vegetables that Lyla's family graciously gave, the box was safely hidden. We were planning to travel through farming villages to keep us from being suspected.
But sadly that wasn't an option as Big Shimaron's army was marching over the hill.
We drew our blades, preparing for a fight.

"Sheath your weapons", Conrart demanded, "it's been quite a while, your highness".

"Conrart..." I said sadly.

He tried to ignore me and carry on his business with the rest of us, "we have you surrounded, you cannot escape, I beg you surrender now and hand over the box".

"We're not giving you the box, I won't allow it!" Wolfram exclaimed as he pointed his sword at his brother.

"Please Wolfram, I don't want any violence. Just hand over the box" Conrart begged urgently.

But Wolfram wouldn't have it and charged at Conrart only to be paralyzed and knocked on his butt. Conrart had gone so far as to use a powerful esoteric stone, it seemed too much to be for posterity.
The guys pulled out their swords, ready to fight but Murada seemed to seal our outcome and suggested we stand down.
Yuri agreed, he was more worried about everyone's safety for the time being than that stupid box. For once in his life, Yuri looked so angry with Conrart, that it made me wonder what Conrart would do if he was willing to turn an esoteric stone on us.
We were bound and escorted to two per horse, I sat with Hube, Yuri with Wolfram, Günter with Lyla, and Murada with Yozak. We sat in silence with only soldiers marching and horses' hooves to fill the air. Suddenly Yozak somehow broke free and started to confront Conrart, leaping over Murata's shoulders.

"Don't Yozak!" Conrart demanded, steering his horse to face him.

"Well my ropes were too loose", Yozak teased, "you're not training your soldiers very well".

One soldier cried out for someone to grab him but then panicked after realizing Yozak somehow managed to take his sword.

"No need to panic soldier, just stay where you are" Conrart commanded sternly.

"Yozak, what are you doing?", I gasped, "get back here!".

"Yozak, don't do this!" Yuri cried.

"Please, don't try to stop me", Yozak replied, "there's something I'd like to ask the captain here".

"Yozak, stop all this foolishness" Conrart pleaded, just for a moment his resolve was weakening.

"We go back a long way, I would have followed you anywhere, or at least that's what I thought", Yozak wondered, "but why did you betray his highness, why Captain, did you break Rina's heart?".

I gulped and leaned back a bit into Hube since I had nowhere to hide in this tense situation, much less deny it any longer that Conrart did break my heart but not in the way that Yozak thinks.

"Can you give me any reason at all that I would understand?".

We all sat in silence as we waited for Conrart's answer but Yozak was getting impatient as he pointed his sword, "if you won't answer me, then I guess you will have to answer to my sword".