Chapter 36

CHAPTER 36

Natsu's POV

I stared at the two storey apartment in front of me. Five years ago, when I learned that Lucy had finally made up her mind to leave, was the last time I came here. I neglected everyone, even Happy, by staying inside of her apartment the entire day. Since that day, I haven't actually gone inside this building.

"Let's go, Natsu! They're waiting for us!" Said Happy before entering first.

I remember getting myself busy by going on multiple jobs just so I could save up. This place wasn't something I wanted to lose. I put in every effort to keep this place since I was confident Lucy would come back at some point. It's the only thing that reminds me that I once had her. This place holds so many fond moments for us, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I might at least try to keep our memories connected because I've already lost her once.

Shoving my hands inside my pockets, I finally decided to follow Happy inside.

"Yo!"

I caught sight of Lucy fixing the coffee table. She immediately perked up when she heard my voice. The two of us locked eyes. I must confess, I was no longer bothered by the discomfort. But she seemed anxious for a reason. But who am I to complain if I'm the reason her heart is throbbing so quickly?

"Hey." Her mouth finally curved into a smile.

If only Happy's scowling expression hadn't blocked my vision, I would have continued to look at her bright face.

"What's wrong?" I asked, but his expression grew even more unhappy.

"Nashi isn't here." He sighed deeply.

"I told you, the landlady took her. She seems to grow fond of Nashi." Lucy resumed her work but soon dropped it once more when Happy turned to face her once again. "Hey, what's with the gloomy face?!" She spat angrily.

I finally had the opportunity to wander around the place. Nothing has changed so much. I'm grateful the landlady kept her word.

"Sorry for coming a bit late."

She shook her head. "There really isn't much to do. This place was still the same as it was. Nashi is probably on her way back, you can just wait for her."

That's what she says but there're still at least six boxes piled at the corner of the room.

"Nah, I promised to give you a hand."

She was ready to protest again but I picked up the first two boxes that were within arm's reach right away. "Where would you want me to put these, Luce?"

She pressed her lips together before sighing. "In the bedroom, please."

"Alright." And I made my way to the room.

"I'll arrange these books!" I heard Happy volunteered.

"No, thank you."

"But Lucy!"

"You'll just ask for something in return!"

They still bicker, but after I entered the mentioned bedroom, I could no longer hear them.

"Shit." I muttered to myself. As the idiot that I am, I let go of the boxes from my grasp when my foot contacted the bed's footboard.

I scowled, hoping that I did not damage whatever was in the package. Even though it doesn't seem to be very heavy, I was doing my best to take decent care of it. But, dang, am I really that careless?