Chapter 38

CHAPTER 38

Laxus' POV

"You know, I've never been mistaken about you." Gramps said out of the blue. He was seated comfortably at the bar counter with a drink in his hand.

I raised my eyebrows in confusion. My focus landed on the brewed coffee I chose to take instead of the usual booze I'd usually have every morning.

"What do you mean?"

I took the opportunity to sip my coffee as I await a reply.

"I'm able to judge how good of a father you are."

He has always been random when giving me such compliments. He has always made comments about my skills and behavior as I have grown over the years. I've always expected that he would commend me out of the blue, regardless of whether I went too far or excelled at using my abilities. However, the only reason I came to expect him to comment on them was because I was aware of the improvements I had made in myself.

However, this was something I never predicted him to say.

"Despite the mistreatment Ivan has given you." He said, pertaining to my father, whom I almost forgot I had. But the only reason that I came this close to forgetting my own father was because all along, I have Gramps.

"You're doing well, Laxus." He added, causing the side of my lips to curl up on its own.

I'll never admit how I like it when he praises me.

Silence engulfed us. But it was the kind of silence I'm comfortable at. I turned around from my seat, deciding to join my grandfather watching the guild become slowly crowded as the sun slowly shows itself. I was cautious not to bump the coffee behind me as I leaned my back against the counter and rested both of my elbows on it.

"Well," I spoke, but my eyes still settled on the big doors of our guild, "You raised me, old man."

I hear him chuckle, so I couldn't help but give him a side-eye glance. And I was right when I saw that wide smirk on his face.

"But the fact that my grandchild is now a father still brings tears to my eyes." He dramatically said.

I shook my head and scoffed.

My eyes caught the familiar ice mage entering the guild. It's a surprise he still got his clothes on 'cause he would usually enter the guild already butt-naked. But it all made sense when I spotted the little girl in his arms and with the blue-haired mage following behind them.

Speaking of blue.

"How was the trial, by the way?" I questioned, pertaining to Jellal and Meredy.

He sighed in relief before answering. "The King's statement benefited him."

"It surprises me that the King was willing to interfere. I'm relieved to hear it went well, though."

"Hmm.." He grunted. "The King was meant to interfere in the first place, anyway."

My eyes landed on the floor. Right. Jellal and his guildmates were intended to be free a long time ago, but things went wrong and some things needed to be given priority.

"They're here."

My head instantly perked up as soon as Gramps announced it. I already knew what he meant by that. I quickly noticed the tiny blonde devil coming straight at us while enthusiastically returning everyone's good morning greetings. Trailing behind him was Mirajane.