Chapter 7: Interesting

"Betty, you missed leading us in! And Glory, I could play that guitar better if I didn't have fingers!" Gwen watched as Em Jay's mid-back length, fiery, red hair swayed back and forth as she yelled at their bandmates. Luckily Gwen seemed to have gotten out of the rebuking for today.

"Excuse me," Gloria spoke up, placing her hands on her hips, already signaling that this would not end well. Everyone knows Em Jay will never back down, even if she was wrong. "It wasn't our fault. Your singing was totally off pitch."

"Welp, this'll be interesting."

Em Jays face flushed with anger. Just as she opened her mouth to spew another insult at Gloria, Gwen came to the rescue, "Why don't we just take five, yeah?"

Em Jay let out a huff through her nose, reminding Gwen of an angry bull, before flipping her hair over her shoulder, "Fine whatever, take five."

Her bright red hair was always perfectly shiny and smooth. It was completely strait, but curled slightly at the tips. Gwen sometimes wondered if her hair was naturally like that or if she did it on purpose. She honestly felt a bit jealous at how Em Jay seemed to so easily keep her hair in such good condition. Gwen's hair would always end up a frizzy mess at even the slightest humidity in the air.

Gwen felt her phone vibrate in her pocket and she smiled as she brought it to her face. Today she was going to head to Miles house to study. She just had to endure the rest of practice... and Em Jay.

Don't get her wrong. Em Jay was great and Gwen cared about her. The two had become pretty close and would occasionally hang out after practices, whether that was grabbing a milk shake or just talking. Em jay was sweet, caring, and would always have her back. Gwen could confidently say Em Jay was one of her closest friends, but when it was time for her to lead practice... it was like the hulk emerged.

Meeting Miles and the other spider-people had opened the door to friendship that Gwen had shut for a long time. She still wasn't too good at making friends and she didn't see the need to go out of her way to become friends with people. She decided to just stick with the people she already knew, which meant her bandmates; Gloria, Betty, and Em Jay. They had definitely become closer over the last couple years and Gwen had grown to really value all of their friendship.

Gloria and Betty had been best friends since the third grade, and had always gotten along well- Betty being the quieter of the pair, while Gloria was more outgoing. Though no one was more outgoing than Em Jay and to top that off, she had no filter. She didn't even seem to care as she'd bark orders at them during their practices. The four girls sometimes would hang out afterwards, but during practice, it was an unspoken rule to never anger Em Jay. If anyone did they have to face her wrath. What Em Jay says goes and the band members rarely ever questioned her, except for Glory, though she would honestly be saying what the rest were thinking.

If you think the Godzilla is scary, then you've obviously never been on Em Jay's bad side. Sadly for Gwen that's where she was about to be.

"Gwen... Gwen!"

Gwen head jerked up from her phone and she flinched back when she met the red head's green eyes that were not even six inches from her face.

"I said you could take a five minute break, not watch a movie!"

"She was just texting," Gloria responded with a shrug, her short, dark brown curls bouncing on her head. Somehow she and Betty had appeared right behind the blond without her noticing.

"Oooh, who're you texting, Gwen?" Betty replied trying to look over Gwen's shoulder.

"You can talk about it later- as in after practice. We have a gig coming up in two weeks and we're nowhere near ready," Em Jay huffed, "Now everyone back to work!"