Chapter 25: Disaster in the Sky

There was an explosion.

There were screams.

There was pain.

That was all Gwen could comprehend at the moment. She couldn't see anything over the cloud of dust and piles of debris that covered her body. She tried to shift her weight, but that only resulted in the rubble to create more pressure on her back and for a sharp pain in her right arm to catch ablaze.

Gwen let herself whimper, because she knew there was no one around to hear it. She was alone. How did this even happen?

As she mulled over the past... how ever long ago it had been, her eyes widened.

"Miles."

She remembered it all: The look of horror and fear on his face, the pain in his eyes that was so tremendous that he couldn't even walk. The worst part was his screams. Gwen didn't think she'd ever forget those screams.

"It's all my fault."

If she had payed more attention- if she had been quicker Olivia never would have captured her and Miles wouldn't have felt the obligation to come save her. He never would have had to go through that. He never would have felt that pain. He never would have...

What if he was dead?

Gwen choked back her tears.

He couldn't be dead. Why couldn't it be her?

Her breath trembled. She can't lose him. She can't! If she lost another friend...

Gwen stared at the chunk of metal that was mere inches from her face. She eyed her reflection in it, but all she could see was a bloodied, broken girl, who couldn't do one thing right- who spent every waking moment saving people only for those people to hate her, maybe even more than she hated herself. She could save all these people, but as soon as it was someone she cared about- that actually meant something to her- she was powerless.

She gave one more violent heave in attempt to free herself, though that didn't fair well. The rubble only shifted and that was when Gwen realized.

"I can't move my arm."

Great. Just perfect.

She was never going to get out of there.

The girl let out a bunch of ragged pants as she tried to lift her right shoulder, to remove the blocks of concrete from her arm. There was a light rumble, before it came an inch or so off the ground. Quickly, she retracted her arm into the small pocket under the rubble that she resided in, having to bite her tongue to not scream at the agony it made her feel.

Gwen had no idea how much air was in the small pocket that she resided in. Did people even know that someone was down here? Probably not. Judging by the sound of Olivia's plan all the other spiders would have bigger things to worry about and a fear pooled in Gwen's chest.

What if she didn't make it out of this?

She'd rather not think about it. Instead she focused on slowing her breathing to steady pace.

"Gwen?!"

Her eyes snapped open. Did she just hear...