Chapter 9: Scarlet

"So what exactly are we supposed to be doing here?" Gwen asked Miles as they stood atop a tall building in earth TRN579, Ben Riley's universe, both dressed in their respective spider-suits. It was a chilly autumn day and Gwen wished she had put a jacket on over her suit. The occasional wind gust did not make it feel any better.

This earth looked pretty much the same as Miles's universe, aside from the billboards displaying ads for movies Gwen had never heard of, like 'The Revengers' displaying a ragtag teams of superheroes dressed in medieval looking clothing. Another movie was the 'Women in White'. It showed three women, all wearing wedding dresses and each posing with a gun in their hand.

Gwen smirked. She'd definitely want to see that.

The sun had already begun to set, lighting up sky with a red-orange hue.

"What do you mean? We just have to warn this Ben guy about Olivia," Miles stated with a shrug, "Easy."

Gwen quirked a brow at him. "Right easy," she began with an eye roll, "We just have to find one guy in a city of over nine-million people and be like, 'Oh hey, Benny. Nice to meet you. We're just two people from other dimension's with the same powers as you. Crazy, right? We came to warn you about this insane octopus woman who might destroy the multiverse. You know, normal stuff'."

Miles scratched the back of his head, a sheepish smile tugging at his lips, "Well, when you put it like that..." Miles cast his eyes down to the side.

Gwen sighed, "Sorry, I'm just frustrated."

Miles only smiled boyishly in response, "It's no biggie."

Gwen's took notice of when his stare locked on something about twenty feet beneath them.

Gwen followed his eyes over to a Jumbotron displaying a news reporter. She had fair skin, dark blue eyes and wavy, light brown hair. In the corner of the screen was a photo of a red and blue blur. Gwen wouldn't have known what it was if it wasn't for for the caption below it that read, "Scarlet Spider spotted in just south of Queens." Gwen squinted at the screen.

"That photo is so blurry that even Bigfoot would be ashamed."

She turned to Miles upon hearing his voice, "We could wing it?" he suggested with a shrug. A dorky grin broke out onto his face, "Or we could swing it?" He held his hands out toward her as he mimicked shooting a web and making a 'Thwip. Thwip' sound effect.

Gwen shook her head and turned away from him a small smile forming on her face, "Let's go, dummy." She raised her wrist off to the horizon, before firing a web line and swing in the direction of Queens.

"Oh come on," she heard Miles holler from behind, "That was good."

Gwen only kept swinging. She released her web a let gravity pull her down, before firing another and doing a quick somersault in the air. She was glad her mask hid the smile on her face.

That was probably one of the worst jokes Gwen had ever heard. It reminded her of the Einstein joke Miles made when she first met him.

She looked over her shoulder mid-swing to find Miles trailing closely behind her. A challenging smirk appeared on her lips, "Race you there, Spider-boy."

*******

Ganke nervously played with the hem of his shirt. He stood outside of Liz Allen's dorm room in plain, grey shirt and a pair of jeans that was nicer but, he hoped didn't make it look like he was actually trying too hard to dress nice. He had his fist raised to the door but, stood frozen in place. After talking to Liz at lunch over the past week he found that she lived in Brooklyn like he and Miles did. She might have lived of the richer side, but whatever. Since all students go home on the weekends he thought it might be nice if he walked her home.