Chapter 24: Pain

Miles couldn't help, but worry a bit for Gwen's safety and his own. If he didn't oblige with Olivia's instruction who knew what she might do to either of them. That's why he sat unmoving- completely still- as Adrian Toomes stalked towards him.

His head was whirring from the pain in his leg. It had already been two days of the two being trapped down there and in that time the pain had only gotten worse. His thigh had swollen dot almost double it's normal size. He was glad Gwen couldn't see him because he didn't want to seem weak in front of her, but he wasn't sure how much more pain he could take.

His suit clung to his skin from the sweat and his mask gave a fowl stench.

"So Spider-man," Toomes taunted, "How does it feel to finally loose." He laughed, "I've been waiting for this day for so long."

Miles opened his mouth to speak, but Gwen beat him to it.

"Back off." she barked.

"Relax Gwendolyn, I just want to finally get a look at the face that destroyed my business."

"Business?" the boy wheezed, "So that's what we're calling it?"

"Shut up." Toomes reached for the boy's mask and Miles mustered up his strength to send a surge of electricity out just as the man's fingers grazed the fabric.

Adrian let out a yelp as he jerked his hand back, massaging his palm. He cast Miles a loath filled snarl.

The boy could hear Gwen off to his right as she let out a sigh of relief.

Miles flinched back as a cold blade came into contact with his neck.

"Try that again and see what happens."

Miles sat still while Adrian latched his fingers into the hem of his mask.

"No!" Gwen grunted as she yanked on her chains, "Stop! Miles, he won't kill you. He's bluffing."

"Maybe, not," the man muttered as a grin split his face. He leaned in close to whisper in Miles's ear, "But I wouldn't hesitate to kill her."

Miles stared into the man's eyes, his narrowed into a glare, but he didn't dare move. He could feel his hands shaking as the fabric slipped off his face, the cold air kissing his cheeks.

The Vulture studied his face for a moment, before pressing the blade harder into his skin until it split. Miles whimpered.

"So you're the one who's been making my life and my crew's life miserable," he growled, applying even more pressure the the blade.

Miles groaned, "Please... stop."
Adrian took a step back and flashed a satisfied, toothy smile, "I won't kill you. Mrs Octavius needs you alive."

"No, I mean please stop talking. You're breath smells like a hot garbage and garlic cocktail."

Adrian sneered, "You disgust me."

"I disgust you? My man, have you not smelled your breath? It reeks! Your garlic breath could kill vampires. Why don't you ask the sea-witch doctor over there to inspect it?"

"My word, Miles, stop talking," Miles heard Gwen mutter. It was just so funny to see the look on the villains face when he was caught off guard.

Suddenly Miles felt his head snap back as the taste of iron dampened his dry tongue. His head lolled back.

"Don't you dare disrespect her," Toomes spoke lowly.

Through Miles cloudy vision he let his eyes settle on the man's face. There was something behind his eyes that fueled the anger. It looked familiar, the boy just couldn't place it.