Chapter 28: Chance

Miles took a cautious step through the window to his dorm room. He lowered his feet softy to the grey carpeted floor. His eyes scanned the room for any signs of his friend as Gwen entered the room behind him.

Miles gulped, trying desperately to keep his breathing in check so it didn't escalate to match his frantic heartbeat. The deafening silence of night only added cement thick layers to his anxiety.

"Ganke has to be okay. He has to."

Miles crept around the room, nearing the bathroom and he pushed open the door lightly, wincing as the hinges creaked loudly, revealing their presence to anyone who happened to be there.

He found it empty. Miles cursed under his breath. If Ganke wasn't here, on a weekday nonetheless, where could he be?

"I don't see him," Gwen whispered, coming up from behind him, "What now?"

Miles could feel his heartbeat quicken. "He has to be here somewhere," He mumbled, marching toward the dorm door.

"Miles, wait!" Gwen called out.

He spun to face her, "I already know what your gonna say. I'm not gonna stop looking."

Gwen brows furrowed as she threw her hands up in frustration, "You're gonna get us both killed! Say, maybe you do find him. He probably won't be himself just like the last time!"

Miles hands balled into tight fist. His blood boiled.

"How can she just say that?!"

"You don't even care," the boy seethed, "I thought you cared."

Gwen paused for a moment. Her shoulders stiffening. Finally she spoke, her voice gentle, "I have people that I care about back home too, but you don't see me running to their rescue. It's not because I don't care. It's because I genuinely believe that we're gonna save them. I came here for you, Miles."

At that Miles expression fell. He was being a jerk. She was right and he should stop, but...

"I can't just give up on Ganke." With that the boy reached for the door handle.

"Miles-" Gwen was never given the chance to finish that sentence. The room was engulfed with a loud, horrendous screaming as the door swung open, another beast of a Venom leaping through and knocking Miles off his feet. It held his shoulders down as it screamed in his face. The boy's broken body flared in pain. The creatures long, jagged teeth bared as it's milky white eyes drew closer and closer until...

"Get you're slimy, grubby hands of him!" Gwen yelled. In an instant the Venom was knocked to the side as Gwen kicked him in the side.

Miles scrambled to his feet, eyeing the pounds of black goo with fear. It shook it's head, letting out a low growl as it locked eyes with Gwen.

"Gwen?" Miles whispered, his voice laced with shock, "Gwen?"

"Kinda busy, Miles," she grunted as she swung her left arm at Venom. It took a step back and snarled.

"Is that... him?" the boy asked, more to himself than the girl.

"Oh please, no. Not again."

She cast him a worried look. The eyes on her mask squinting in empathy as a crease was formed between the two lenses. Her voice came out hushed, "Possibly."

While Gwen was off guard, the beast clawed at her, knocking her to the floor. It began to advance on her and Gwen sent a leg up, kicking it back. She scooted away from her spot on the floor, getting all the more closer to the window