Chapter 31: Gwanda

Hey guys, sorry that the update is out late. I just decided to write one long chapter instead of two. This chapter is over 5,000 words and it is the final chapter for this story. Besides the epilogue, of course.

Enjoy!

*******

"Gwen?" Miles asked, cautiously.

Did he do something wrong?

Had he messed everything up?

Rain pelted his face as he watched her stare at him in disbelief. Her lip trembled as she finally shook her head as she cast her gaze off to the side, not able to meet his. An emotion flashed across her eyes... It looked like hurt.

How ironic, because Miles felt like he just might collapse from the weight of his hurt... of his regret.

"I messed up."

"I'm sorry," he whispered. He sighed heavily, "Really sorry."

Her head shot up. The girl's blond strands were plastered to her face, though she hardly seemed to take any notice. "No," she muttered weakly, with a shake of her head, "Don't."

Now he was confused. Did she not want to talk to him anymore? He needed to fix the this. He was not going to let go of her.

"Gwen," he spoke softly, "I know that you aren't close to a lot of people, so I'm sorry if I...made you upset." She bites her lip and looks away. Miles takes that as a signal to go on, "I know that things haven't always been easy for you and it's hard for you to open up to people. Just know that matter what you're still my best friend. That will never change. I want you to know that I'm here and if you don't want to, you don't have to tell me right away. You could take all the time in the world and I'd still wait...because I care about you. I trust you." Her head snapped up to face him. Her blue eyes widened to portray so many different emotions.

He thought of how closed off she had been in the past. She had been broken once before so she hid herself away from people. She didn't trust people when she clearly was carrying so much baggage: back at the basketball court in his universe, when he asked to go to her universe, and even just a yesterday. She had gotten all closed off. She had secrets... and that was okay.

Miles lifted his head up toward the dark, night sky and sucked in a breath. He clamped his eyes shut at rain penetrated his eyelids. Then he looked back at Gwen and decided that he'd put the ball in her court, "Or if I really did ruin everything with my big mouth," he laughed humorlessly, "Then just say the word and I'll.." Leave her alone.

Gwen looked broken. She was always so collected- so in control and now... She had been stripped down so that all of the emotions could bleed through; the fear; the pain, the longing, the uncertainty. Everything became so prevalent. The walls she had build up hadn't just crumbled they had been hit with a nuke and blown to kingdom come. Miles had never seen this side of her and it almost scared him.

The boy placed a hand on her shoulder, "Hey," He looked down at her, "No matter what," he smiled gently, "You'll always be my Gwanda."

Gwen's blue eyes met his. Her lips parted as shock overcame her features. Her crystal gems seemed to twinkle as they reflected the light around them. Miles couldn't help, but smile as he studied her face.

He smiled soon faded as he heard no sound come from her. She seemed frozen. Was that too much?

"Gwen, are you-"

He couldn't get out another word, because next thing he knew, he was yanked off balance and Gwen Stacy, the girl he had been hopelessly pining over for so long... was kissing him.