Chapter 26: The Best

"It hurts."

"Everything hurts so bad."

Miles just wanted it to end.

Even just getting his eyes to open was such a struggle. They felt as if they had been glued shut with tar.

The boy forced them to open, the action feeling as if he should be using a crowbar. He expected the light to encase his retiñas and obscure his vision, but he was only met with darkness. The dully lit room was easy on his eyes and the boy let out a sigh of relief, instantly regretting it when his chest burned. He lifted a hand to the source of the pain and let out a whimper when his arms flared in agony.

Miles grit his teeth and craned his neck to the side. His eyes landed on his arms that had white bandages and gauze wrapped up to his shoulder. His torso had been wrapped as well. Wait...

"Where's my shirt?"

The boy's eyes widened at the sight. His suit was still on his body but was in tatters. One sleeve hung limply over his left arm while the rest of his upper half had been torn.

The memories came flooding back; Doc Oc, Toomes, the collider, everything.

"Where's Gwen?"

He hoped she was fine. He probably got out on the better end, but still... He had no idea what happened.

What if Doc had killed her?

"No, don't think like that. She's fine."

"Look who finally decided to wake up," A gruff voice spoke.

Miles lifted his head to find Miguel standing in the corner of the room, arms crossed, as usual.

"Where are we? Where are the others?"

Miguel took a few steps toward the boy, eying him like the question he had asked was stupid, "May's spider-garage thing. And the others are up in the house."

Miles bit back a cry as he sat up on the couch he had been placed on and clutched his side tightly. He swallowed hard when the pain died down after his movement ended. He thought for a moments before squinting in confusion, "Why are you down here then?"

"Was Miguel worried about me? Does he actually care?"

"I don't like people and didn't want to listen to talking. Conveniently for me, up until thirty seconds ago you were asleep."

Miles rolled his eyes and let out a huff.

"Nope. Still a douchebag."

"Is Gwen okay?" the boy asked.

"She's doing better than you, seeing as you we're dying an hour ago," the man responded with a shrug.

Miles shivered at the thought.

"That's not an answer."

Miguel gave him a hard look, "It is. Just not to what you asked." With that he began to walk away, tapping a few buttons on his dimension hopper.