Chapter 27: The Theory

Gwen had a theory.

Miles Morales had a crush on her.

It wasn't exactly concrete, but she there had seen so many signs recently.

The first was what Adrian said to her. She didn't believe him at first, but the more she payed attention, the more she thought that maybe he knew what he talking about.

She had pushed off Miles's awkward behavior as part of his personality, but what if it went deeper than that? His strange actions had only increased as time went on.

Gwen knew Miles cared about her- sometimes even to an annoying extent, but could it be possible that there was something else behind it?

She remembered the way he held her hand when he held her hand as they studied the picture of her mother and the affection and care that radiated from his eyes. She thought of the way he had always gone out of his way to spend the day with her, even though his schedule with school was hectic. She remembered his genuine concern for her getting sick and then how he brought her favorite ice cream once she did. She could recall how easily he forgave her when she forced him away from the fight. She was sure he would have stayed angry with her, but he acted as if it had never happened. He even kept trying to reach out to her after their argument, even though she was in the wrong.

Miles was to good for this world- for any world.

This couldn't all be by coincidence... right?

"Gwen, were here."

The girl stopped her swinging as the two landed on nearly rooftop. They ducked down, hugging low to the ground, trying to keep the best balance she could with only one hood hand. She peered over at Miles's house across the street. The nearly black sky gave Gwen an ominous feeling.

She really hoped his parents were okay for Miles's sake.

Miles didn't waste a second, slinging himself over to his open bedroom window and slipping inside. Gwen checked to make sure none of the creatures were around before following suit.

Once inside, the two teens locked gazes and Gwen lifted up a lone finger, placing it lightly against her mask. Miles nodded in agreement.

He crept out of the room and Gwen was right on his heels, listening for any sign of his parents. They tread down the stairs and Gwen winced at the loud creaking of the floor boards.

They reached the final step and Miles suddenly jut out a hand, halting her movement.

Gwen's brows furrowed. Confused, she poked her head around the corner and her breath caught in her throat.

There sitting in the silence. Was a burly figure. It sat at the kitchen table with the morning paper lifted to its face, obscuring Gwen's vision of its face.

"I..." Miles seemed to be too scared for words, "Officer? Is that you?"

"No," a raspy voice hissed. Gwen shuddered, her eyes widening in freight. "He's not here." Miles took a step back as Gwen took a protective step forward. The monster lowered the paper, showcasing its pearly white fangs that formed a sinister smile. A pair of aviator rested just under its eyes. His fingers dug into the table as he dragged them back, leaving jagged streaks across the wood. Gwen winced at the gruff sound. The creature's tongue whipped against it's teethe. "Only Venom!"

The pile of black goo, lurched forward knocking over the table in the process. Gwen reacted instantaneously. She swung her right arm, landing a blow to the side of it's head, sending it crashing into the wall. She spared a glance back at Miles. He was frozen in place. The eyes of his mask were enlarged- petrified.