Chapter 8: The Meeting

"Come on, dude, please," Ganke was on his knees. His hands were clamped together as he begged Miles for help. Not Miles's favorite way to start a Monday.

"I don't get it, man. You want me to ask Liz if she'll sit with us at lunch?" Miles sat at the desk in their dorm room as he tried to finish his Spanish homework.

"What's not to get?"

Miles sighed, lolling his head back against the chair, "Can we not do this right now? We have a Spanish quiz today."

"You speak Spanish!"

"It's not the same thing."

"Please Miles, just this once," Ganke pleaded trying and failing to give Miles the puppy eyes from his place on the floor. He jutted out his bottom lip as his dark brown eyes screamed how desperate he was.

Miles groaned rubbing his temples, "Fine, but you have to come with me. I'm not gonna look like an idiot by myself."

Miles could have swore that Ganke grinned as wide as the the Nile, "Thanks so much!" He pulled Miles into a hug, while Miles just chuckled and patted him on the back.

The two were alerted by a silent, rhythmic beeping sound. Miles felt his eyes scan the room for the source before landing on his gizmo. Ganke seemed to have realized it too because he spoke not even a second later, "I think your watch-thingy is ringing."

Miles nodded, reaching over to his nightstand where the watch laid, to grab it. He pressed a blue icon on the screen that read, 'Accept Call' in big, bold letters.

A beat later a hologram of Miguel appeared above the device. Ganke was by his side in a instant, gawking at the watch and rambling about how cool it was.

Miguel wore his usual unimpressed look, "Miles, I- who is that?"

Ganke was practically hanging on Miles shoulder. Miles placed a hand on Ganke's face and shoved him away, "It's just my roommate. It's fine. He knows about all the spider stuff."

"You seriously told him?" Miguel groaned, "What part of secret identity don't you get?" He shook his head dismissively, "Whatever, I'm calling an emergency meeting. Meet me and the others in my dimension now."

"I can't. I have first period in like," Miles checked his phone and panic flooded through him, "Fifteen minutes!"

"Don't care. Get over here," Miguel stated, before abruptly ending the call.

Miles groaned, "You've got to be kidding me."

"What's his problem?" Ganke asked from his right.

"No idea." Miles stripped himself of his school uniform. Once he was down to his boxers he grabbed his suit from the closet and scrabbled to put it on. He slid his mask over his face, then began fiddling with his gizmo.

"So umm," Ganke looked to him earnestly, "You'll be back before lunch right? Y'know for the thing with Liz?"

Miles smiled small, "I'll try, okay? I promise."
Miles punched a few digits into his gizmo. Gazing as a portal appeared before him. He gave his roommate a wave before stepping through.

After landing on the other side of the portal he was met with the futuristic sight of earth '928'. Peter and Noir stood beside each other at table in Miguel's kitchen and Peni sat on top of the table, at the corner as she conversed with them. She swung her legs back and forth like a child would do.

Miles noticed two more portals opening up and out stepped Gwen and Porker. The boy smiled when Gwen gave him a half wave.  "Hey Gwen," he called.

"We're all here too, kid," Peter announced with a mischievous grin, "Favoritism much?"