Chapter 5 - Maisie Brumble

Lillianna couldn't explain how right it felt to be on the sea. She had never felt more at peace more at home. She had never felt so free. Yet the dress she was wearing reminded her other wise. She was standing at the front of the ship wishing so much that she could rip the infernal uniform of and throw it into the sea. Instead she opted to loosen the top button. The ship had been up in arms, constantly preparing for when the time would come to kill the red bluster. Then the captain gathered everyone to the deck and started a speech.

"For we are hunters. And we will bring all of our skill and all of our rage down upon this beast. And there will be justice!" he cried raising his spear into the air. Everyone cheered.

"But that will not be the end of this great ship. For no one has sailed beyond the Dregmorr Sea. No one knows what dangers lurk in that terrible unknown. But it will be this ship, under Jacob Holland, that will pierce the darkness," he said pointing his spear at Jacob who smiled as he was hoisted onto the shoulders of his fellow hunters.

"So let's drink to a successful hunt, with many more to come," he said the crew cheering louder as they rolled some barrels out.

"Princess would you like to say a few words?" Brian asked earing a displease look from the captain.

"This isn't my ship, nor is it my crew. And I'm pretty sure everything that needs to be said has been," she said simply.

"You know, I didn't expect the princess to be someone like you," he mused gesturing to her.

"And I didn't expect that there would be someone who hates the admiral as much as me. yet here we are," she said with a small grin.

"Ow!" the small cry from a barrel got everyone's attention.

"What was that?"

"It came from the keg,"

"What was that?" 

Jacob stepped forward turning the keg on its head before lifting it up to reveal that it wasn't ale that lay within, but a bunched up little girl from the tavern. She chuckled nervously at Jacob's bewildered expression. 

"You stowed away?" He asked in bewilderment.

"I stowed away," she admitted bashfully.

"You stowed away," Jacob sighed dragging his hand down his face.

"Uh, I... Yeah," she said standing.

"Well, we're dropping you off at the nearest port. We're going after the Bluster. We can't have a kid mucking about," Jacob started a small rant the girl looking like she didn't agree in the slightest. yet before she could argue the captain appeared.

"What's this?" The captain asked making his way to her.

"The name's Maisie Brumble," she said in complete aww of the captain. "but you need no introduction. You've been swallowed whole, shot through the heart, and cut to pieces. But the worms won't eat you, and hell won't take you, so here you are! The right, proud commander of the second-greatest hunting ship what ever sailed!" she stated her excitement showing through her wild movement.

"Second-greatest? Which then, may I ask, is the greatest?" the captain asked amused by her.

"I'm partial to the Monarch, for it's the ship me parents served on," she answered slightly saddened by the question.

"I see. Then they died heroes, didn't they?" he asked softly.

"Aye," Maisie nodded proudly.

"I like this kid. She's all vinegar," he stated walking away.

"But, C-Captain," Jacob questioned still in bewilderment. Lillianna was to. He wasn't going to let a kid stay here was he? It was far to dangerous.

"Sarah, be good enough to take her in, would you?" The captain said.

"Aye, Captain," Sarah nodded.

"Congratulations, Captain Someday," Maisie said grabbing a cup of ale and clacking it with his. As she jumped down he took the cup from her only muttering a small. "Uh" as she walked off. Lillianna smiled in amusement at his bewildered look and even chuckled when she poked her tongue out to him. 

Her chuckle seemed to draw his attention earning a frown at her amused expression. Propping her eyebrow she turned away facing back to the front of the ship. She was still at the front of the ship when she heard a clamber of footsteps and Maisie walked up to her side.

"People are saying your the stuck up princess. Is that true?" she asked simply.

"I'm the princess yes. Stuck-up, no," she said casting a glare to Jacob who huffed and looked away. No doubt he was the one who had given her the lovely add on of her name.

"What's a princess going on a hunters ship?" she asked tilting her head to the side inquisitively.

"Well to be honest my parents sent me here. You know I think there half hoping I mysterious disappear at sea," Lillianna half joked resting her elbows on the side of the ship.

"Why would they want you to disappear? Aren't they your parents?" she asked. Lillianna smiled sadly.

"Its a joke lass. There just a little mad at me because I don't necessarily listen to orders," she said casually with a small grin.

"We seem to have that in common then," she said. Lillianna propped an eyebrow but kept a smile, the girl was interesting.

"Sarah said were sharing a room. I took the top bunk if that's ok," Maisie said.

"Ah you see now were gonna have a problem. Ya see I want the top bunk," Lillianna stated jokingly placing an hand on her hip.

"We can fight for it. After all I'm a hunter now," she said showing off the dagger proudly.

"That's a good dagger. She seems trustworthy. What have you named her?" Lillianna asked.

"You name your weapon's?" Maisie asked unsure.

"Well of course. Every great weapon deserves a name, just like every ship. Some even consider it bad luck not to name one," Lillianna said. Maisie though for a moment looking over it.

"The beast killer," she stated proudly.

"What a mighty name," Lillianna said with a soft smile.