Chapter 6 - Selkie

Jacob watched from just below the steps at Lillianna's kind smile her laugh seeming to catch the attention of the whole crew. It didn't sound like a princess's laugh. It was hearty and unrefined.

"Well don't tell no one but I recon you'll outshine everyone on this boat," she said softly ruffling Masie hair.

"Now of you go, its getting late," Lillianna said gently nudging her away.

"Staring at the princess are we?" Sarah asked startling Jacob who cleared his throat.

"I uh, I wasn't. I was just making sure she didn't hurt the kid," Jacob said defensively.

"Aha sure," Sarah nodded with a small smirk.

"She's pretty through," Sarah mention as the two looked at her. 

"She's alright," Jacob shrugged. Lillianna seeming to feel there gaze looked to them only for her smile to drop. Scratching her nose with her middle figure she smirked as Jacob scoff before turning back around.

"What she is, is a naïve prissy princess that doesn't know nothing about the world. Give it a day and she'll be complaining that its too hot or something. Women like that are weak, she cant wipe her own ass let alone survive a trip on this ship," Jacob said simply hoisting a barrel onto his shoulder before walking away. Lillianna briefly glanced over her shoulder. She had heard every single one of his words and it pissed her off to no end. 

That night as Lilliana walked back to her cabin she spotted Jacob resting up in-between two creates. He looked a tad cold so against Lillianna's dislike for the man she returned with a blanket gently setting it over him before stepping into her room. Unknown to her the certain sailor had heard her approach and watched her leave pulling the blanket tighter around him with a small smirk. 

As Lillianna stepped into the room she found Masie sitting up in bed by the light of the candle holding a book close to her.

"Cant sleep?" Lillianna asked softly taking of her coat.

"I've tried, I think I'm too excited," she chuckled looking down at her book.

"Looks like a good book," Lillianna said walking up to her. 

"The best," Masie said. 

"You know I could never sleep on a first night somewhere new," Lillianna said.

"What did you do?" Maisie asked.

"Well, I would sing a song. Its an old song. A song from before the dark times," Lillianna said pulling herself up beside Maisie.

"What's it about?" she asked.

"Well I'm not to sure. It tells of someone or something searching every part of the sea for what they love," Lillianna said.

"Some say its of a woman searching for her lover that disappeared at sea. Some say its of pirates looking for treasure," Lillianna said loving the inquisitive twinkle in her eyes.

"And some say its of a man searching for his Selkie wife that left," Lillianna added.

"What's a selkie?" Masie asked.

"There are many other mythical being that swim the sea. A selkie is a seal that can take the form of a woman when they take of there fur coats," Lillianna said.

"That can't be true," she shock her head.

"You can really say that after reading that?" Lillianna asked pointing to the book. Maisie hummed nodding her head.

"I suppose you could be right," she said.

"You suppose?" Lillianna asked.

"Well you know what they say about princess's, you lot know nothing," she said half jokingly.

"I suppose your right," Lillianna whispered.

"What dose it sound like, the song," Maisie asked. Lillianna smile before the soft song started to slip from her lips. 

It was mesmerizing. The crew awoke to the beautiful sound only to be quickly lulled back to sleep by it. Maisie who listened closely felt the call of sleep slip over her as she lay down to get more comfortable. Before she knew it her eyes had closed and sleep had claimed her. Lillianna finished the song pulling the covers up and tucking her in. 

"Goodnight ya little devil," Lillianna whispered gently brushing the hair from her face taking the book and placing it beside her. Jumping off the top she made sure the blanket covered her feet. The door which had been left open ever so slightly allowed Jacob to see in where he had already been watching. The guard seeing his gaze quickly closed the door.

Early next morning Maisie was already out and about. Lillianna had just woken up when the ringing of the bell and the rush of people greeted her reaching for the door. A gasp left her lips as the ship was suddenly throw to the side. When she regained her footing she opened the door only for Jacob to run in with Maisie on his shoulder.

"Stay here, and stay away from the window," he ordered them both before slamming the door behind him. 

"What's going on?" Lillianna asked.

"It's the red bluster," Maisie whispered in shock. 

Lillianna stomach dropped at those words. She didn't feel the excitement she thought she would. No instead she felt dread. Maisie let out a scream as the canon fire rang around them. Lillianna pulled her in her chest holding her tightly hoping to provide some comfort. A comfort Maisie greatly appreciated holding her back just as tightly. Suddenly the whole ship jerked to the side Lillianna taking the blunt force of the hit knocking her head against something that sent a sharp pain pulsating through her head. A warm trickle of blood running down her temple came shortly after. The boat continued to toss and turn all the while Lillianna keeping Masie caged safely in her arms. That was until they slid to the side the door opening as the ship almost went vertical. Lillianna hand reached out grabbing onto an axe that had been stabbed into the deck. It momentarily stopped there slid but the axe gave way. The two screamed as they slid down the deck. The rain provided the perfect slip and slid a ramp throwing them in the air momentarily before slamming into a rope.  Lillianna let out a slight yelp at what she saw. The gnashing teeth the great yellow eyes and the great red maul of the red Bluster raging beneath the waves right in front of there very faces.