Chapter 13 - Turning Right

Jacob had quickly gotten down to business using his map and little device to see where exactly they were.

"With the right heading, we'll be there in three days," he said looking slightly to the right to the direction they should be going. Tying a rope around his waist he anchored the other end to the boat before swinging down to hang in front of Red's left eye.

"All right, beast. I need you to turn. Okay? Can you turn? Can you turn to starboard, yeah? To the right. Right, ya dumb beast. Right. Can you turn to the right? That way!" he quickly got frustrated amusing the two women that watched him.

"Oh yeah insult her, that will defiantly work," Lillianna called down laughingly which made him look up at her with a glare.

"You can scream all day. She don't understand ya," Maisie called down to him.

"Oh, she understands, all right. She's just being monstrous," he said glaring hard into the eye.

"I need you to turn to the starboard. Over there, right where I'm pointing? That's starboard. That's the right. More to the right. Look, see? Over there, right! Turn to the right, you infernal bloody sea beast!" Both Lillianna and Maisie watched in amusement as he continued to try and fail. Maisie copied his action tying a rope to her handing in front of the other eye. Lillianna chuckled as red closed the eye Jacob was at.

"He's wondering if you might turn a smidge. Like this, see?" Masie said turning around in her rope and holding her arms out before leaning to the right. Red understood right away turning along with her.

"That's it! Thanks, girl!" Masie giggled continuing to hold her hands out. To her it felt like flying almost. When the two had returned Jacob looked slightly dejected before grabbing his hammer.

"Not so hard," Maisie boasted triumphantly.

"She ain't no pet. Just don't let your guard down, all right?" Jacob said grabbing Blue by the head an chucking him away. 

"You can relax, Captain. She's a friend," Maisie said walking after the poor beast.

"Yeah, right. Till she gets hungry," he commented.

"Oh, will you just," Maisie's words trailed off as she set her eyes on the back of the beast. Spears as far as they eye could see were sticking out of its back. Lillianna hearing her paused followed her gaze only for her jaw to slacken slightly. 

Maisie gave her a look before walking over to the closest one. She tugged at it before pulling with all her might the spear coming free, Red letting out a sound of relief at the act.

"Right well," Lillianna said rolling up her sleeves as she stepped up to Maisie who was struggling with the next one. The two shared a smile before pulling together. By the time night rolled around it had started to rain. Using her already dry cut up skirt she tucked the sleeping Maisie into the make shift bed. Hissing in pain she pulled back her hand and looked at them to see the still red cuts bleeding slightly. Jacob hadn't noticed it before.

"Hold on," he said rummaging through the supplies. 

"Its fine. There just agitated," Lillianna chuckled dismissively. Jacob didn't listen though pointing to the seat.

"Sit," he ordered. Huffing Lillianna shock her head back sat anyway getting a good look at her hands. Jacob plonked down in front of her a rag in one hand and bottle of rum in the other. Wetting the cloth he readjusted gently taking her hand in his. Her hands were small compared to his. 

"This is gonna sting a bit," he warned before placing the cloth on her hand. With a sharp intake of breath Lillianna closed her eyes at the sting.

"Just a bit?" she asked.

"Well more than a bit," he answered with a small chuckle. Lillianna opened her eyes surprised at how gentle he was being. He held her hands like they were fine china. Trying to distract herself form the pleasant feeling his hand provided against her she focused on him. How his eyebrows wrinkled together slightly whenever he was focused. 

"You get these with the crab attack?" he asked.

"Yeah," Lillianna murmured.

"Why didn't you say anything?" he asked bighting the end of the bandage with his teeth unravelling it enough before pressing it to her palm. Lillianna shrugged.

"If I'm being honest, I forgot about it till now," she whispered. "Some amazing stuff has happened today, and its all thanks to that little girl over there," Lillianna smiled fondly at Maisie's sleeping form. Jacob smiled as well as he wrapped her hand.

"Yeah," he whispered simply. It was quiet as Lillianna let Jacob tend to her wounds. Aside from the stinging it was relaxing the sound of the rain hitting the tarp and the sound of the waves. 

"So tell me, what brings a princess like you onto a hunting ship in the first place?" he asked feeling like he need to fill the silence. Inside his heart was beating rapidly.

"Truthfully," Lillianna muttered as he finished up the last bandage. With a deep sigh she clasped her hands looking out at the sea.

"My parents wanted to scare me into obedience," she whispered making Jacobs eyes go wide.

"They expected you to fail, gave my guards orders to get me off the boat before it went down. They though if I experienced something like that I would be scared into submission," she said. "On the off chance that you did succeed they wanted me to lie. To say you let the imperator kill the beast and stole the horn as proof," she admitted looking down to her hands. She could still remember Lia relaying the information of her parent secret meeting.

"Why would they do that? It don't make any sense. They love you, I mean they," Lillianna sad gaze had him stopping. It was a know fact that the King and Queen adored there only daughter. The extravagant parties each year proved that.

"Don't believe everything you hear in books captain someday," she said patting his hand.

"Thankyou for that, we should get some rest," she said standing and moving over to Maisie. Resting up against the side Maisie immediately moved close to cuddle by her side. Jacob sat for a moment longer the look she gave him unable to leave him mind. Such a heartbroken look.

He went to say something, he wasn't sure what he was gonna say but it fell short when he heard her soft singing as she gently brushed Maisie's hair. Sighing he settled into his own little corner before being lulled to sleep his eyes still resting on Lillianna's sad face.