Chapter 14 - Fishing?

The next morning they were working on the boat when they stopped for a break. Lillianna had undone a few more buttons. Pulling her hair to the side she fanned herself Jacobs eyes locking onto her bare neck and the slightest hit in cleavage. He could even see the start of a sprinkle of freckles that sat on her shoulders. Due to his distraction when he brought the hammer down it slammed onto his thumb.

"Bullocks!" he exclaimed the two girls looking at him only for him to play it off cool.

"Dropped a nail," he said calmly. Maisie opened up a coconut chucking one half to blue. Jacob reached for another only to find the bag empty.

The three of them stood on the fin of red overlooking a school of fish as Jacob stretched spear in hand.

Cracking his neck he propped the spear at the ready before throwing it into the water. He missed the fish but Lillianna wasn't paying much attention. Instead she was captivated by the curve of his shoulders and the strain of his neck muscles with each throw. Maisie seeing her gaze nudged her with a small grin. Clearing her throat Lillianna ignored the blush dusting her cheeks as she looked away. She wasn't going to lie. The hunter was hot.

With each throw he got more and more frustrated till he let out a huff. Redd gurgled earing his attention with a not so impressed look.

"Oh Red's judging you hardcore right now," Lillianna mused only earning a half glare this time.

"Yeah, well, you know, I'm, uh... I'm used to a bigger target, all right?" he said crossing his arms defensively. Lillianna shared a knowing smile with Maisie. Red seeing this slowly started to circle the school of fish following her to form a circle as well. Soon they were jumping out of the water. 

One jumped right out and into Maisie's arms.

"haha dinner time!" she said excitedly holding the fish up to Jacob.

After they had eaten there fill Lillianna and Maisie returned to taking the spear out of the back. There was a particular one that no matter how hard they pulled they were unable to get it out. The two paused as Jacob walked up to them. He didn't say anything, he simply grabbed onto the spear and lifted with them pulling it free. He let out a thoughtful hum as he flipped it over in his hand looking out at Reds head. Lillianna smiled patting his shoulder before moving onto the rest, Jacob following suit.

When night rolled around Lillianna and Maisie were sitting under the stars.

"That's Orion and see that one that looks like a pan, thats the little dipper, and that one there is the sea faired and his wife," Lillianna pointed out the constellations.

"It says here that during the dark times, the beast destroyed a town on the coast of Kra' Zoul. But we been up and down that coast, and I ain't never seen no town, destroyed or otherwise. A-And... And we don't say "yar" half this much. E-Every other page, we're shouting "yar." I mean, this is just nonsense," Jacob said reading by the light of blues little antena.

"Says you. But the book says otherwise, and it's going to outlast us. So people will believe the beasts destroy towns that don't exist, and hunters like to say "yar." Maisie said her words ringing true. 

"But if that ain't true, then how are you supposed to know what is?" Jacob asked the conflict showing clear in his face.

"And how do we know the sea beasts ever plucked ladies out of their veggie patches? That there really were the dark times? Maybe they didn't start this war," Maisie suggested turning the pages back to the very first.

"Maybe, but why would we?" Jacob asked.

"You know there ain't any official record of monsters coming up to shore. Only legends. All the ships that have been lost were beyond the dredmor," Lillianna muttered.

"So there only stories?" Jacob asked earning a shrug from her.

A rumble of thunder had them turning around to see dark clouds and flashing of purple lightning. 

"Looks like a real shipwrecker," Maisie said clutching blue tightly. Quickly moving all their supplies back into the nose of Red they sat as she dived under the surface the raging storm above tearing there little boat to pieces.

"Nicer down here, I'd say," Maisie whispered leaning up against Lillianna's side.

"Aye. Nicer down here," Jacob said. Lillianna wrapped her arm around Maisie pulling her close. At first it was beautiful watching the flashing of light hit the water. Then glowing jelly fish appeared.

Then it changed. The beauty gave way to horror. Carcases of beasts and ships alike littered the sea floor. 

"I don't know how the war started. Maybe all that matters is how it ends," Maisie said. Lillianna squeezed her little tighter looking up to Jacob who shared her gaze.

Maybe Maisie was right.