Chapter 24 - After

The town square was set alight in beautiful lanterns. The people of the town were celebrating a very special birthday. Maisie held a bright smile as she danced in the circle Jacob bent over to dance with her. 

When the song was done Maisie bowed to Jacob and he to her before they moved over to a table. 

"She's running late," Maisie chuckled slightly nervously. 

"Don't worry about it lass. She said shes be here so she will be," Jacob said gently nudging her side.

"While we wait," Sarah said gaining Maisie's attention. Pulling a knife bigger than the last one she gave her from her jaket she held it out to Maisie who beamed happily.

"Thankyou so much Sarah," she said pulling it from the seth and waving it about slightly.

"Woah hey," Jacob said quickly moving out of the knifes path.

"Piper look!" Maisie called rushing off to show the knife off.

"Why'd you give her another knife?" Jacob asked with an amused smile.

"She felt unsafe after a story I told her," Sarah wasn't used to children. So when she told Maisie a particular gruesome story she decided the answer to her predicament would be to supply her with a weapon. 

"Well now I feel unsafe," Jacob said holding up his shirt where Maisie had sliced a small hole through. Sarah propped and eyebrow.

"Do you want a knife?" she asked.

"Ha very funny," he said grabbing a mug of Ale. 

"It's the queen," That one yell had the whole square quieting down as everyone turned to the two horses that approached. Lilianna sat on one the general on the other. Her hair was still in its wild for yet neatly pinned back a golden circlet poking out from it. She was dressed a bit finer but casual a half coat over her shoulders. The general too was dressed a bit more casual. 

"Lillianna!" Maisie cried out in excitement. They hadn't seen each other in some time. So when Lillianna saw her she jumped from the horse dropping to her knees just in time to catch Maisie.

"Ohhh how I missed you," Lillianna said squeezing her tightly. 

"So this is the young woman who befriended the red bluster?" Lillianna turned to the side slightly to allow the general to walk up to them. 

"Maisie this is Lia, A good friend of mine," Lillianna introduced her.

"Its nice too meet ya," Maisie said sticking out her hand. Lia reached forward giving it a firm shake. 

"And I you," she said.

"Now, I hear it was a certain someone's birthday," Lillianna smiled earning Maisies full attention.

"I'm glad you're here. Wasn't sure you were coming back really," she said slightly saddened by the thought.

"Hey I promised didn't I? And just ask Lia. I keep my promises," Lillianna said. 

"Now more importantly, presents," Lillianna said pulling her shoulder bag forward. Maisies whole demore changed into one of excitement. Maisie pulled her over to a table where she sat bouncing up and down excitedly. Lillianna pulled three items from the bag. One a rectangular flat box. A smaller square one and a rolled up piece of paper. Jacob and the rest of the crew gathered round knowing exactly what one of those items where. Maisie first opened the large box ripping off the cover her eyes shone in aww. 

"Maisie Brumble and the Great Bluster," she read out the title of the book.

"The first story of a new age," Lillianna said. Maisie giggled excitedly opening up the first page.

"This one is from me," Lillianna said pushing the small box up to her. Maisie opened it to see a pendant. A silver one with a a knot pattern.

"That was given to me by a woman I considered to be my mother. She said it would bring me luck and if the fates be it, it would lead me to the one who I would share the rest of my life with," Lillianna said Maisies jaw slacking slightly.

"Did it work?" she asked.

"Well it lead me to you didnt it?" Lillianna asked. 

"What about Jacob?" she whispered. Lillianna blushed slightly glancing up at the hunter that stood on the other side of the table. It was the first time the two had seen each other in months, yet just the glance was enough to have both there hearts beating fast.

"Come on you've got one more to open," Lillianna said pushing the rolled up paper closer. Maisie quickly put the pendant around her neck before unravelling the paper. She froze as she read over it.

"If we could have a pen please," Lillianna said softly. A pen was quickly placed in her hand. Gently taking the piece of paper from Maisies frozen hands she placed it down. It was an adoption form. Lillianna signed her full name. Jacob sat on the opposite side of Maisie and pulled the paper towards him before doing the same. 

"Now its not considered kidnapping," Lillianna's words were cut off by Maisie throwing herself into her arms. 

"Thankyou, thankyou so much," she cried tears gathering in her eyes. Lillianna felt tears gathering in her own as she held her tighter.

"Come on now. I signed my name to," Jacob said Maisie giggling whipping her tears away and sniffing before turning and hugging Jacob. 

"So its official? We're a family now?" Maisie asked.

"As official as it gets," Lillianna nodded.

"And this is from me," Jacob said handing her a poorly wrapped item. Sniffing again she unwrapped it. It was a beautiful wooden figuren, carved to look like Red.

"Did you make this?" Maisie asked.

"Of course he didn't. It looks far to pretty for that," Lillianna's remark had Jacob smirking at her. Maisie pulled the two into her.

"I love you guys," she whispered.

"We love you to Lass," Jacob said.