Chapter 11 - The Great Battle

Stepping back from the cracked egg's Jacobs foot sunk into yet another egg which caused him to lose balance and go stumbling backwards. Each step breaking yet another egg. When he finally stopped the three watched in breathless silence as small yellow creatures broke out of the eggs. One made eye contact with Jacob and Maisie before its mouth opened, and from it came a loud bellowing cry. Said cry seemed to set of a chain reaction and before they knew it all eggs had hatched and all creatures inside them were roaring loudly. Jacob locked eyes with Lillianna who stared blankly.

"Best be going," he said simply.

"No shit!" Lillianna exclaimed rushing forward to grab Jacobs hand before pulling them into a run.

The mass of little baby creates chased them through the forest catching up to them on the beach and enveloping them in a blanket of chubby yellow bodies.

"Maybe they're bonded to us, like geese," Maisie suggested as they all struggled to get to the top of the pile.

"It's the mother goose I'm worried about," Jacob grunted as all three popped out of the top. The three paused as they looked to the forest to see trees shaking and birds flying away before a giant yellow tucked beast burst from it.

"There she is. Come on," Jacob said the creatures crawling away to there mother allowing them to run to the boat. The three strained as they pushed there dingy into the ocean the beast hot on there tail. As it hit the water the three jumped in Lillianna moving to help Jacob with the sail.

A small screech halted Lillianna's movements as she looked toward Jacob's but to see a creature attached to him. Before Lillianna could say anything Maisie had grabbed it and chucked it into the sea stopping there pursuer. Lillianna breathed deeply as the mother nuzzled its baby before returning to shore. Jacob stepped up beside her looking on in disbelief before looking down at Maisie with a not so pleased face and his hands on his hips. Maisie laughed nervously clasping her hands together and giving Jacob her best innocent expression.

"Hold the rudder," he ordered Maisie quickly moving to do as she was told. Lillianna let out a deep breath sitting beside her.

"You alright Maisie?" she asked softly placing a hand on her head. With a small nod Lillianna smiled letting out a deeper sigh before sitting back slightly. 

"If we can make it to Rum Pepper Island, we'll be able to flag a ship. The Dregmorr is thick with monsters, but don't worry. If there's one of them things within a mile of us, I'll sense it," this time Jacobs words fell on dead ears as Lillianna and Maisie saw a giant crab like creature emerge from the water. Seeing there gazes he turned around.

"May be a little off my game here," he admitted honestly. A giant claw came crashing down as Jacob threw himself onto the girls to protect them.

The giant claw with the boat in its grasp raised it up both Maisie and Lillianna falling from the ship and from Jacobs grasp.

"Jacob!" Maisie cried the two of them landing in water before the back of the beast emerged from under them. Lillianna let out a started sound as she slipped over the beast back away from Maisie. She hissed as her palms were sliced trying to grab a hold of something, anything but it was no use.

The boat moved towards the beast mouth where Jacob desperately tried to fend of the multiple teeth threatening to swallow him.

"Maisie!" Lillianna explained seeing the girl not to far from her. A shadow was cast over Lillianna and as she turned she saw red rising up with a fearful snarl. The crab dropped the boat and what followed was utter chaos.

The two beasts battled it out sending the two girls sliding wildly over its back. at one point Lillianna was close enough to grab Maisie but just before she could they were separated again.

The crab climbed out of the water onto one of the jagged rocks the red beast jumping out of the water its horn cleaving a gash in the rock like it was butter. Yet the crab got the upper hand its claws gripping the beast horn and holding it down. Lillianna who had been moved to the end of a very spike breathed heavily pulling herself up just in time to see Maisie running across its back and jumping onto its eye. The creature let out a screech as she pulled the eyelid back. Then Lillianna heart stopped as Maisie was throw to the water.

"Maisie!" With out a second though she dived into the water. The impact was hard and it hurt stunning Lillianna slightly. When she recovered she searched around desperately. Her lungs screamed for air so she returned to the surface. 

 "Maisie. Maisie? Maisie! Maisie!" Turning around she saw Jacob paddling up to her looking around desperately.

"She went under. I cant find her!" Lillianna cried through deep breath. She was just about to dive back under when bubbles emerged a bit from her. A few seconds later a little squishy blue beast appeared with Maisie holding on to him. She coughed and sputtered dazed but alive.

"Good boy," she said. Lillianna swam to her Maisie immediately latching onto her steading her erratic heart. Swimming back to the boat Lillianna heaved Maisie up before doing the same for herself. 

Brushing the wet hair out of her face she gently placed her hand on Maisie shoulders as they both recovered. Sharing a small smile there relief was interrupted by the sound of water, more specifically the water pouring into there boat via a large tooth sized hole.