Chapter 28 - Mum

Jacob woke up to Liilianna absentmindedly trailing her fingers over the scars on his chest. 

"Morning love,"He groaned in a deep husky morning voice that any other day would have Lillianna blushing deeply. Yet she only hummed a bright smile on her face.

"What's got you so happy?" he asked.

"She called me mum," Lillianna said resting her chin on his chest. 

"What?" Jacob asked rubbing his eyes.

"Maisie, she called me mum last night," Lillianna said with a giddy smile. Jacob let out an astonished breath. 

"Im happy for you love," he said leaning down to give her a sweet kiss.

"Do you think I'm doing a good job. At being a mum I mean," Lillianna asked. 

"Love, your doing a great job. She called you mum," Jacob said easing Lillianna worries. 

"If were asking who's doing a good enough job that question should be for me," Jacob said.

"Hey," Lillianna whispered reaching up to turn his face towards her.

"Your a great father. I see that, and so does she," Lillianna said. Jacob smiled softly.

"And just like that my worries are gone," he chuckled shaking his head. Lillianna smiled reaching up to give him a quick peck.

"Come on, up an at em captain," Lillianna said jumping out of bed. 

Maisie had taken to calling Lillianna mum like a fish to water. Maisie didn't really notice her change in words. and every time she referred to her that way Lillianna would tear up slightly but act as normal as she could. 

One day Lillianna walked up onto deck to see Jacob kneeling beside Maisie who held a bow an arrow in hand. It was a pretty quiet day so the deck was relatively clear allowing Maisie to shoot at a target on the other side. Propping a hand on her hip everyone of the deck quickly looked away.

"Captains in trouble," someone mumbled.

"Love, we were just um. We were just messing round," Jacob quickly stood with a small chuckle.

"Dad said if I learnt how to do a bow knot he said he'd teach me," Jacob froze at her words only to hold  beaming smile. Lillianna slight anger had quickly disappeared seeing Jacobs smile.

"You hear that? She called me dad! Im a dad!" clearing his throat he tried to act cool rubbing his nose. Maisie blushed slightly.

"Don't make a big deal out of it ya donkey," she said nudging him.

"Well you'll not hit anything like that," Lillianna said walking up to Maisies side. 

"Alright first of you got the arrow on the wrong side. You load it on the inside, it's faster. Secondly let the bow rest in your hand. You shouldn't fight to keep it up. This bows to big for ya. When we get to shore ill get you a smaller one. Now keep both eyes open," Lillianna guided Maisie as she notched an arrow. 

"Dad said to keep one closed," Maisie said.

"Well your dad's an idiot. Now elbow up, stomach in," Lillianna said. Maisie grunted as she drew  the arrow back. 

"Hold, as far as you can," Lillianna said. Maisie let out one last grunt as she pulled back before the arrow was loosed. It hit the very corner of the target. It was the first time she actually hit it. The crew cheered as Maisie smiled proudly.

"An idiot am I?" Jacob asked.

"Of course not," Lillianna said patting his cheek.

"You to be careful. The doc won't be happy if he has to pull an arrow out of someone," Lillianna said casually ruffling Masies hair before grabbing a box and walking back to her room. It wasn't even two minute's later when a yell echoed across the ship.

"BOLLUCKS!" Jacob yelled. 

Maisie sat by Jacob as they waited in the surgery the bow sitting in her lap her legs swigging as Jacob sat beside her an arrow sticking out of his shoulder. 

"How on earth did this happen?" Lillianna asked her arms crossed as she stood in front of the two.

"Ask her she shoot the arrow," Jacob said nodding to Maisie only to wince. 

"You went close to the target," Maisie argued.

"Alright I'm here, What happened?" Doc walked down pausing upon seeing the three.

"I see," he said quickly putting two and two together. 

"Come on jacob," he called beckoning him over to the table. Maisie walked up to Lillianna leaning into her watching on in worry.

"Its alright Maisie, he'll be fine," Lillianna murmured rubbing her shoulder. Jacob gave her a small smile.

"Don't worry Lass. I've been through worse," Jacob said as the doc cut his shirt off. 

"Lilly, Would you mind pulling the arrow out?" The doc said. Lillianna had been trying out her hand helping the doc. After all everyone of the ship seemed to have a knack for getting injured. Nodding Lillianna walked up to Jacob placing one hand on his chest and the other around the shaft. 

"Your going to enjoy this aren't you?" Jacob asked with a slightly nervous chuckle reaching out to hold her waist.

"Just a little bit," Lillianna smirked. "On three," she said softly.

"One two three four five," Lillianna continued to count earning a confused look from him.

"Wh?" his question was responded with Lillianna yanking the arrow free.

"Fu!" His words were cut off by a crisp slap before Lillianna captured his mouth with her lips kissing him deeply. Pressing the gaze to the wound she pulled back with a smirk. The sharp pain Jacob had felt quickly washed away by the two actions.

"What was that for?" Jacob asked rubbing his cheek.

"To confuse you. Didn't hurt did it?" Lillianna asked stepping to the side as the doc got started with the stiches. 

"well no," he muttered. 

"Alright young miss. Lets go discuss punishment," Lillianna said throwing the arrow down before taking Maisies shoulders and walking her out.

"What a woman," The young cabin boy commented from the other side of the haul earning a warning look from Jacob.

"Hes right you know. The fact that she chose you still bewilders me," The doc said. 

"I can hear you," Jacob said.

"I know," The doc said simply.