Chapter 19 - The Choice

Jacob quickly gathered Maisie in his arms the two knowing they had to get to a doctor and fast. Rushing to the shore the soldiers that had swum from the wreckage paused upon seeing them.

"Lillianna?" Hornagold asked in shock.

"Wha-what happened to you?" Hornagold asked in shock and disgust as he looked Lillianna up and down.

"We need a boat," Lillianna said simply walking up to one.

"What are you talking about? God woman stop," he said reaching out and grabbing her arm.

"Let Me Go Hornagold. Now," Lillianna demanded.

"Are you ordering me?" He asked his grip tightening.

"You better get your hand off her before i cleve it off myself," Jacobs word cut like steel as he started to walk up to Hornagold. But what cut hared was Lillianna's fist as it slammed into Horngolds nose the satisfying crack filling the shore. 

"I am Princess Lillianna! And I am comodering this fucken boat. Now back the hell up," Lillianna demanded glaring harshly down at the admiral who started at her in shock holding his bleeding nose. Jumping in the boat Lillianna reached out taking Maisie from him. 

"Its ok Maisie. Its gonna be ok love," Lillianna said ripping her sleeve off and pressing it against her wound. Jacob pushed the boat out to sea raising the sail. As the small boat approached Lillianna's eyes were trained on Red, they had tied her limp body up with ropes. As they got to the side of the large ship many hunters were waiting. 

"Quick take her," Lillianna said handing Maisie over to Jacob who quickly scaled the ladder they rolled out. Pulling herself up at a slower pace she paused momentarily the pain seeping through all the adrenaline rushing through her body. Taking a deep breath she continued her accent.

"Your majesty!" Her guards rushed forward falling to there knees.

"Thank the powers you are alright princess," Brian said. Lillianna payed them no mind, she simply rushed after Jacob. 

"Where's the doctor!" Jacob was frantic rushing around with Maisie still limp in his hands. Rushing her over to the medical table he gently set her down the doctor rushing up to him tieing up his apron.

"What happened?" he asked looking over Maisie.

"There was cannon fire. A blast threw her to the air," Lillianna explained.

"She's lost a lot of blood," The doctor said.

"Here take mine," Jacob said rolling up his sleeve. The doctor quickly got to work patching up her wounds while Jacob gave blood. Lillianna was sitting next to Masies head gently creasing her head when the captain appeared.

"Jacob my boy," he whispered pulling jacob into a tight hug. 

It was funny to Lilianna. The captian wasn't Jacobs blood son but he loved him. Yet there she was with both blood parents without an inch of love. 

"What the devil happened?" he asked.

Then Jacob began to explain. Sat on a stood he explained everything, from Red to Blue to the island and everything in-between. Lillianna listened silently. Her uncertainty of what was gonna come next and the pain that seemed to grow with every second made sure of that.

"I see. That's quite a story, Jacob. The hunter what befriended a beast. Hmm. The beast what took me deadlight. What am I to make of ye, Jacob?" The captain wasn't all to please about the story. The scene almost looked like a father trying to scold his child. 

"That thing and I, we, uh, had, uh, an understanding," Jacob was fighting with himself, Half of him felt guilty, guilty for betraying a way of life he had followed since he was young. The other half felt guilty or the beast outside.

"A truce. Hmm? But there cannot be a truce without war. Whatever happened out there is nothing against hundreds of years of war. I've always known what I was, Jacob. I'm the son of a captain, who was the son of a captain. And if we are born to fight, then by God, let's fight. That we may be tested and find our greatness. So I ask you, Jacob, my son, are you my enemy?" Lillianna's grip tightened. She curiously glanced over, this was when Jacob would make the decision.

Before anyone could do much Maisie had jumped out of the bed grabbed her knife and rushed at the captain prepared to protect what she believed in. She was weak however and Jacob easily caught her arms gently catching her as she fell to the ground.

"Let her go!" she demanded weakly as Jacob pulled the knife from her grasp. The captain chuckled with an amused smile.

"She's all vinegar," he said standing and walking over to the open curtain where Sarah stood. Jacob gathered Maisie in his arms before laying her back down.

"Easy, lass. Easy. There you go," the doctor said draping the blanket over her.

"You need to help Red. She's our friend," Maisie said earing a conflicted look from Jacob.

"I'm sorry,"  Jacob breathed apologetically. Maisie tried to hold back tears as she looked away.

"She needs her rest," The doctor said.

"I'll get you back to Guelston. You'll be safe. You'll have a good, long life," he said but Maisie was having none of it.

"But first, we'll pay a visit to Castle Whiterock. We have a date with the king and queen," The captain said. Maisie gave Lillianna a begging look.

"Captain," Lillianna spoke up earing a casual glance over his shoulder.

"I know its no use. But I order you to let the beasts go," Lillianna said strongly. 

"Ha!" The captain said in amusement.

"Your orders hold no power here princess," he said simply. 

"And you? After everything?" Lillianna asked thurning to Jacob who looked down in shame. Nodding her head she sat back down.

"Jacob, I imagine you could use a drink," The captain lead Jacob away.Jacob cast one last look back seeing Lillianna soft but sad smile as she brushed Masies hair.

"Im sorry lass," Lillianna said.

"Why would Jacob do this?" she asked.

"I don't know love. I don't know," Lillianna answered honestly.