15 | All Wounds Heal But Mine

LENNOX'S P.O.V.

Things had gotten easier over time.

I'd wake up, take a shower, go for a run, and Dani or her mom was usually downstairs making breakfast. We'd become close since she left, especially since she didn't have Dhiren and the girls at the high school didn't really understand.

A couple tried, she said.

But it just didn't hurt them like it hurt us.

In the ten years she was gone, her father and mother had divorced. I'd always known the Masons weren't the most perfect couple- they tended to tell at each other when they were in the pack house when Dani and... God, it hurt to even think about her.

As far as we knew, Beta Alexander had left for one of the packs in Canada or something.

This happens when you're not with your mate, which I pointed out to my father before he and my mom retired to some remote island in the Pacific- one of Hawaii's, I think. Divorce or so much sex you get a headache.

Luckily for me and Dani, friendship was enough. And then when Dhiren came back, a full-fledged Beta and seeming to have grown a couple more inches, our duo of sadness and self-pity became a trio of sadness, self-pity, and Lennox, you need to get this paperwork done.

24-6, paperwork, paperwork, paperwork. Sundays were wallowing days. That lasted until I finally got the hang of it, and while I was stuck in the office, Dhiren was wooing Dani and creating this amazing little creature we all call Evie.

And then a couple years later, another one that they named Caden. It took me a while to find out from Dani that Evie and Caden Iliana were Dhiren's parents' names. They'd been killed by Rogues when he was a kid, so he was raised by Sutter, one of the older Wolves in the pack.

Things had gotten easier, with Dani and Russia and Dhiren, especially with the kids, but it still took a lot to get out of bed.

Everyone told me that all wounds heal with time.

All wounds heal but mine.

*

"Uncle Lennox, Grammy made pancakes!" Caden.

"No, no, no- do it like this: UNCLE LENNOX COME GET SOME FOOD!" Oh, Jesus Christ.

I groaned, reaching up with one hand to rub at the drool that had crusted on my mouth, sighing and opening my eyes just in time to hear Russia scolding them for yelling.

"Caden, Eve, don't yell at your uncle," she told them sternly. And then: "LENNOX, GET YOUR ASS UP BEFORE I MAKE YOU GET UP!"

A grin found it's way onto my face as I rolled out of the large bed- made for two, but just for one- and pulled on the pair of sleep pants I'd abandoned last night, running my fingers through my hair as I trudged downstairs, taking the plate Russia held out and sinking into a seat next to Evie.

"We're going to quiz our letters today!" Caden piped up, smiling widely at me. I grinned back, still chewing the pancake I had in my mouth.

"F'good," I mumbled, before swallowing. "Show me."

Russia and I exchanged a glance as the boy slowly but surely (although not too accurately) got through the alphabet, A-B-D-C, and Evie listened carefully, correcting him one or twice or thrice, before suddenly jumping up and squealing.

Dhiren stood in the doorway, a big smile on his face as both children ran forward, clamping into his legs and trying to yell over each other.

"I'M QUIZZING MY LETTERS TODAY!" "I'M TAKING A MATH TEST!" "LOOK, GRAMMY MADE PANCAKES!" "UNCLE LENNOX ISN'T WEARING A SHIRT AND ITS GROSS!" "EVIE'S BEING MEAN!"

"ALRIGHT!"

The kids let go of Dhiren and jumped onto Dani- who was much shorter than the Beta. It took me a minute to realize she had their backpacks- they'd seem her just this morning, like every other day.

And I'm going to get it out right now, I had never seen kids so eager to go to school as those two. They got out the door extremely fast, though I'm sure that had something to do with Dani.

She was quick in helping Caden put on his jacket, and she was braiding Evie's light brown hair a second later, and then they were each pressing a kiss to either cheek and BOOM- they were gone.

"That gets me every time," I remarked, shrugging and pricking my ears as Dhiren sat down.

"One of the Alphas called, said he wants to help with the Margo thing," he announced, leaning his elbows on the table. "And there was a sighting in Florida."

Russia stilled, her hands curling into fists. I looked from her to the table, clenching my jaw.

For the past decade, I'd sent out requests for any Rogues that matched Julie's description be brought to Golden Blood, if not for me, then for her family. There'd been plenty of sightings, and even a few girls who weren't Julie but sure as hell looked like her, but nobody knew where she was.

Or, if they did, they weren't talking.

"It's not Juliette, not my girl," Russia murmured, shaking her head and picking up the empty plates off the table. "She likes cold weather, and trees. She loved Colorado."

I gave her a small smile, nodding and clearing my throat. "Um, which Alpha?" I asked, looking at Dhiren again. "Gray Moon?"

Dhiren shook his head. "Silver Tooth," he said, frowning slightly. "Reid Freeman."

duh duh DUH