8 | The Mate Thing

My parents had taken Dani out for dinner. Weirdly, Dhiren and Alpha Darren had tagged along.

My father had been trying not to kill Dhiren - who seemed very attached to Dani - before they left.

I stayed at home.

I was on my back, my head resting at the foot of my bed. Earbuds were blasting Green Day's Oh Love into my head, making the ache in my chest worsen.

Talked myself out of feeling... talked myself out of falling in love...

Ah, Billie Joe. Your words are truly painful.

Don't get me wrong, I love Green Day. But today? With that song?

Just fuck me already.

I jumped when I heard someone rapping their knuckles on the window.

I stood up, pulling my thin, semi-see through t-shirt down to cover my stomach.

I opened the window, confused as Lennox slipped inside. He shook out his hair, smiling at me.

I found myself grinning, looking up at him. "Hi," I whispered, taking a tiny step closer.

NO NO NO NO. Don't walk to him! Walk away from him! He's- he's-

He smelled amazing.

Like chocolate, and... arousal.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

"Julie..." he whispered, wrapping his arms around me. I nuzzled his neck, not understanding what was happening to me.

But I was tired of playing this game with him. I wanted him, probably more than he wanted me. He had Margo for his needs, but I didn't have anybody.

"I'm so sorry, Julie, I'm sorry," he whispered, his lips brushing my ear. Impatient, I shoved him onto my bed, straddling his hips.

Lennox smiled. "You're amazing, Juliette, you know that?" He told me, stroking his thumb across my cheek.

I silenced him with a kiss, moving my mouth against his. He instantly responded, raising his hips to grind against mine. I let out a moan against his mouth, parting my lips.

His tongue warred with mine, sweeping around every corner of my mouth. He groaned, flipping us over so he was on top.

Stupid dominating Alphas...

He made quick work of my clothes, shredding my favorite Mt. Dew t-shirt, the bastard.

But I can't really say I was much better.

Lennox was nude in a matter of seconds, his bright green eyes looking up at me hopefully, adorably.

I couldn't help but let out a giggle.

Lennox dimpled, his hand reaching up to cup my cheek. "Before we continue, I just want to tell you that you look beautiful," he whispered. I leaned into his touch, smiling softly.

"You look beautiful, too," I admitted, my cheeks turning pink. Lennox grinned, leaning forward to kiss me.

All thoughts left my mind after that kiss. I wished it had never happened, that maybe I could've stopped the pure need coursing through my veins, but that kiss ignited it.

It ignited the whole chain of events, a chain of events that could've never happened.

*

I stretched, my fingers looking for Lennox's warmth.

I shot up, into a sitting position.

Shit.

I'd given up my virginity last night - I'd given it to a mate who had rejected me, ignored me, and was engaged to someone else.

I got out of bed, padding towards my bathroom. I was sore all over, and stumbled a bit when I walked.

I turned on the tap, and looked at my hair in the mirror. I distinctly remembered Lennox's fingers tangled in that rat's nest, pulling and tugging...

I gasped when I noticed the bruises peppering my skin.

My lips were still a little red, and, on my forearms, you could definitely see bruises in the shape of hands.

Lennox's hands.

There was another notable, dark purple bruise on my neck, where his teeth had broken skin.

If you ever touch what's mine again...

It was in the spot where he would've marked me, if he hadn't rejected me. If I hadn't let him reject me in the first place.

Damn.

I let out an involuntary whimper, my fingers brushing over the purple spot.

I had to talk to Lennox about the mate thing.

I'll make sure there's no safe place for you, or your family.

I had to put a stop to this.

Especially that damn sister of yours.

For Dani.

*

I smiled at Alpha Darren, dimpling. "Hi," I chirped. Alpha Darren grinned. "Hello, Julie. Here to talk to Lennox?" He asked, eyes twinkling.

I rubbed the back of my neck, nodding. "Y-yeah. It's kind of, um... it's really important," I whispered.

He nodded with understanding. "Alright. I think he's in my office. Just go on in, he shouldn't be doing anything too important," Alpha Darren smiled.

I nodded. "Thank you, sir," I nodded again, quickly jogging up the stairs.

It was quiet in Alpha Darren's office. I could hear shuffling, but that was it. No music, like I'd expect from an eighteen-year-old boy.

I rapped my knuckles against the door. Silence.

Frowning, I opened the door, and froze.

Margo was straddling Lennox's hips, her curly black hair hiding his full, beautiful, pink lips from me.

She turned around, still on his lap, to smirk at me. "Hello, Juliette."

Lennox looked shocked. He stood, knocking Margo off his lap. "J-Julie?" He whispered.

I clenched and unclenched my fists. He's not yours he's not yours he's not yours...

Margo scowled at me, her eyes promising evil intentions if I didn't get out of there, right now.

Especially that damn sister of yours.

I gulped, looking to Lennox. "S-sorry I interrupted - it- it won't happen again," I whispered, turning my head to the side to expose my neck. It was a sign of submission. Not from a woman to her mate, but a soldier to an Alpha.

Lennox looked pained. "Did you need anything?" He whispered. I sank my teeth into my lip, not saying a word.

Margo sighed dramatically. "She probably came to tell you she's not taking the Beta position," she glowered at me, conveying a silent message.

Lennox shot a growl at her. "Julie, is that true?" He asked me, his voice gentle. Soft. But full of masked hurt.

I nodded quickly, gulping. My hair hid my face from him, but I knew he could feel my heartbeat quicken.

He fisted his hands, taking a few steps forward. "Margo. Out," he snapped.

Margo shrugged, prancing from the room with one last glare at me.