Detention's Never Been So Fun

Angel had rarely ever gotten detention the first time around in school. Only for missing work assignments in younger years and never but once in High School, and that was because she forgot her id.

Now she had Saturday detention for missing and being late to school too much. Making up hours, as Uhl put it. He simply "cannot abide by tardiness on a regular basis." Fair, and she wasn't all that upset.

During the days she was stuck in bed she emailed her teachers to ask if they could send her her work for the days she'd be gone. They mostly did and she arrived earlier when she did come to school for help with the math, so she had one assignment left and then she could read. The only bad thing about the day was that she couldn't be with the little cardinal as he healed.

"I suggest him to a safe place, preferably outside so he's comfortable, for the little guy to heal," the vet told her.

"I know the perfect place," Angel offered, taking the little bird in her hands. The vet suggested a carrier, but she said it was fine.

"And keep an eye on his temperature. It's strangely high for a bird his size."

"Got it."

Since she had already filled out the paperwork while the exam had been going on, she could just leave. She went to the alley that she had first arrived from and teleported back to the gazebo.

"I promise, this place doesn't look all that safe, but there's wards and spells that keep this place hidden from anyone I don't want here." Angel chuckled as she made little leaves and sticks float over to a nook right off the stairs to make a nest. It probably wasn't up to bird's standards, but it would do for now.

"You probably can't understand a word I'm saying right now. Well, here ya go. A little nest till you get better." He chirped something of a thank you in a response. There was a bandage around the side of his neck, running across the end of the black feathers. They made a heart over his big and wide brown eyes. At least that meant he was getting better.

"I gotta go to school, but I'll be back later, ok?"

"Chirp!"

Now being here on a Saturday was now a bit of an annoyance.

"This is a vacation," Jim said as he walked up the steps. Just then, a truck pulled up and Steve got out rather upset.

"And vacation canceled," Angel joked as the trollhunting trio groaned. Toby was the only one to actively look at her. Glare more like. "What?"

"Angel?" Came Jim's mom's voice. Angel turned to her and walked to greet her.

"Hey Dr. Lake," Angel said with a wave. The woman was standing with the car still running and door open. A concerned look was on her features.

"Do you have detention too? I didn't picture you for the type."

"Eh, it's just to make up hours. Missing a lot of days and all."

"And why have you missed so many days?" She didn't know how to answer that, especially since her concern was replaced for a second with a bemused look. Uhl thankfully chose that time to call her in, so she had to bid Dr. L goodbye.

. . .

"Mary, just give up your phone," Angel groaned. Why did Uhl want her to sit next to her anyway? At least she still got to listen to music.

"But how come you get to keep yours?" Mary whined as Uhl finally wrestled her phone away.

"My phone is in there, same as you. I'm listening to music on my Mp3."