It's My Birthday.... Again?

Ooh, girl, you're shining! Like a Fifth Avenue diamond!

That was the first thing she heard that morning. Reaching over was a futile effort as it wasn't her alarm wasn't the one causing the noise.

"Wakey wakey, eggs and bakey," Douxie chimed as he came into the room with a tray of waffles, eggs, and bacon, syrup on one side and sweet tea on the other. "Happy birthday, darling."

"Is it weird that I'm already thirty-one?" Angel laughed as she sat up. His expression turned mischievous.

"You don't look a day over 18."

"Ha, ha." Douxie set the tray on her lap and sat down with a chuckle. "Didn't I ban you from cooking?"

"Unless you or Arch is watching me. I hope I didn't burn anything." Angel took a bite of the bacon. It was a bit crunchier than she preferred, but it wasn't burnt, so she gave a thumbs up. The eggs seemed to have shredded cheese in them and the waffles, while simply being toaster, were good. "So, what's the plan for today?"

"Hmm. I don't know. But with school, I gotta go to the science fair. Ms Janeth made me a judge."

"You?" Douxie chuckled a bit. "No offense, but your science capabilities aren't the best."

"Well, your monsterology needs work," Angel fired back, pointing her fork at him then eating the waffle that was on it.

"Cheeky," Douxie tutted.

"I learned it from you."

"Oh really?" He smirked and put his head in his hands. "I must be a good teacher then."

"If what you're teaching is sass,"Archie said from his perch on the dresser. When did he get there? "Then maybe she shouldn't be in your class." They all shared a laugh.

"Oh man," Douxie muttered in a chuckle before looking back to her with a smile. "So, why did Ms Janeth make you a judge?"

"It was her birthday gift to me, not making me participate," Angel explained, putting some eggs in her mouth. "You're welcome to join." Douxie laughed at her words, considering her mouth was full and some fell out. As she swallowed some of it to use her tongue to get the bit back in, he laughed harder.

"I hate to interrupt, but you have a visitor at the window," Archie said. It was then that they heard what the music was hiding. A tap tap tapping at the window. Douxie, confused, got up and pulled the curtains back a little.

"Flapjack?" He exclaimed, opening the window quickly to let the little cardinal in. He immediately flew to Angel, who had thankfully set her tray on the nightstand, and began chirping wildly.

"Slow down, slow down, FJ," Angel soothed, holding out her hand so he could land on it. "How did you get here? And find us?" He chirped something along the lines of 'small town'. Angel rolled her eyes.

"I think she meant with your injury," Douxie chimed in, closing the window and walking over. "The vet said you have one more week before you're all healed up." The next chirp was a 'so what?'

"Really, Flapjack? You could reopen your wound, flying that far." An 'I don't care,' chrip. "Ok, no more flying for the rest of the day. You're staying here until I get back." Angel set him down on the bed and turned to get clothes from her dresser and didn't hear Archie or Douxie's warning, so her entire breakfast was gone. She muttered a curse.

. . .

"My volcano!" Shannon yelled as a new sibling duo accidentally bumped into her.