Battle At The Bonfire

"That's....." Douxie muttered as he watched Angel sparing with Anna, red claws out. She had been working on her non-magical/close combat for awhile now. Zoe and Douxie, because he had gone back to teaching her as well, were waiting for twilight to come.

"Yep. Her emotions run her magic more than anyone I've ever seen," Zoe said as she watched. "It unlocks her deep-seated stuff easier. But that also means-" Angel suddenly got thrown back against a tree, just barely able to shield herself from it.

"She stops paying attention," he sighed. "So, anger is how she controls it? I guess I picked the wrong emotion."

"I noticed it when I first trained her, since she was a bit ticked off that you wouldn't." He winced and looked to the ground. Angel got thrown on the ground again but got up, determined to get more than one blow in a row. "But when she drank that Gravesand coffee (remind me to talk to the trollhunter about that), I think she did too. She's stopped holding back as much."

That he did notice. Angel was more comfortable using her magic now, the claws and shield being a good indicator. But not as much didn't mean never at all. She kept stopping in the middle to take a breath and calm herself down, losing whatever advantage she had to do so, and there was still that bit of hesitation no matter what she did.

Soon enough, twilight came, so Angel stopped fighting Anna. She shook her hand respectively and headed off for a date with Kristoff. Angel struck up a conversation with the two about her chess match Toby's grandma and the other older people of Arcadia. She beat three of them, Vex being extremely intense about his match with her, but she still couldn't beat Mrs. Domzalski.

"I mean, the woman can barely see. How can she be that good? It's like she can read minds, though after what I've seen, it's not entirely impossible I guess-"

"I still don't like that we aren't telling her," Douxie whispered to Zoe as they got closer to the territory of one of the niffins. Zoe rolled her eyes as she whispered back.

"If she knows, she won't fight."

"She'll be mad at both of us if we don't."

"That's a risk we'll have to take." Douxie groaned. "She's never fought a troll head on before, with all her wits about. If we tell her now, she won't learn until it's too late." After a moment, Douxie gave a sigh and made up his mind.

"She won't learn like this."

"Hisirdoux!" Zoe whisper/yelled as he jogged to catch up with Angel. She had pulled ahead while they were arguing. Douxie rubbed the back of his neck nervously when he did, unsure of how to first approach the topic.

"Hey, Douxie?" Angel asked, not looking at him. "Is it hard to fight a niffin? I know Zoe said it was like fighting a troll, but I've fought one before and he had coherent thoughts. Do niffins have them? I tried to read up on them beforehand, but I couldn't remember where the books were."

"See, here's the thing about niffins, Angel-"

The bark-meow roar echoed around them, Angel immediately going on guard. Zoe yelled out a warning that Angel reacted to fairly quickly, grabbing Douxie's hand and teleporting them behind the niffin just as it's claws hit the ground. It looked confused for a moment before Zoe used her rope to swing in from a tree and kicked it in the face.

Angel sent a barrage of her magic to it, the yowl excruciating.

"Angel wait! I need to tell you-"

"Tell me later, Doux!" Angel said before shielding herself as the claw came down on her. Douxie backed up so he could properly find the runes he needed for a few trap spells.