The Lies We Tell

"But how do you know the light goes out when you close the door?" Merlin asked while he continued to open and close the fridge. Barbara walked over to where Jim was cooking.

"I never expected Merlin to be in my house," she said with awe. Merlin, after checking the freezer, began to walk off. Claire chuckled as she helped Toby set the table.

"You've had trolls, goblins, and changelings in your house," she began, Angel popping in with a flash of maroon light. "Why not a couple wizards?"

"What'd I miss?" She asked.

"Oh you know, the usual," Toby said with his usual flair. "Almost dying to a stasis trap, then Angor Rot, then Gunmar, then a collapsing cave, then a waterfall."

"Wow. And here I thought my life was interesting."

"Spare me the life story, now and forever, changeling," Merlin said as he rounded the corner to the dinning area. He met Angel's eyes before looking her over, clearly fighting many emotions at once. "And who are you?"

"I'm, Angelia Sweet," she said, reaching her hand out to shake his as respectfully possible. He didn't take it, so she just awkwardly scratched the back of her neck. "But you can call me Angel, if it's easier."

"Angelia. A lovely name for a lovely lady." Merlin said as he sat down at the table. Angel followed suit, albeit cautiously. Jim asked if she had anything specific she wanted in her omelet before Merlin spoke again. She shook her head. "So, you're a wizard as well? You can't be more than a few centuries old."

"Actually, I'm thirty-one." Merlin's eyes widened a little. Jim chuckled as he finished the omelets and started placing them on plates. "What's funny?"

"It seems his future sight isn't the best when it comes to age," Claire explained. "Or height. He thought Jim would be thirty."

"Huh."

"How long have you been practicing magic? And who's been teaching you?" Merlin questioned.

"Only five years and I'm not telling." Merlin looked her over curiously, almost like he was surprised that she didn't say anything.

"Bon appetit!" Jim announced as he walked past with three plates in hand. Barbara came by with two, setting them down in front of the wizards.

"So, Gunmar stole your staff," she said. "Isn't that all he needs to start the uh- the um- uh- the- the-"

"Eternal night," Jim helped. Angel took a bite of her food and complimented his skills. She had heard of his amazing cooking, but never had a chance to try it until now.

"Yes, the eternal night."

"Fear not, Mother of Jim," Merlin assured her as he took his fork to his food. "When I designed my staff, I put in a safeguard."

"See, we're in good hands," Jim said as he sat down next to Claire and Toby on the couch.

"Then again, no safeguard is a guarantee." Merlin hungrily took a bite of his omelet. "It's been centuries since I've eaten. Metal face over there was lucky I didn't eat him in the cave." Toby dropped his knife and laughed nervously.

"He's joking, right?" Toby asked nervously, Merlin scarfing down the rest of his omelet.

"I don't think he knows how, TP," Angel said.

"Not really." Merlin answered while wiping off his mouth, though who he was answering was unclear. "Time is of the essence. Take me to the nearest blacksmith at once."

Angel looked back with an arm over her chair at the confused trollhunters. They couldn't very well take him to a forge themselves; the nearest one was a town away (which she only knew because she had made knives from time to time) and then it was Merlin. He wasn't exactly screaming 'totally normal, nothing to see here'.