The Things We Do To Pass The Time

"There you are," Douxie said as the girl finally appeared on the screen of his laptop. The feed glitched and Claire adjusted something on her side before sighing.

"Sorry Doux," she muttered before hitting the side of her computer. The picture immediately became clearer. "The sewers don't get good reception."

"How close are you to New Jersey? You know, so you can get out of the sewers."

"Almost halfway. With so many trolls that, let's be honest aren't the nicest," she whispered, holding her hand up to block her mouth, "it's been taking- Hey!" Douxie let out a chuckle that turned to full out laughter when Claire suddenly stood up and yelled at some trolls behind the laptop in spanish. And from what he knew, some of her words were curses. The sounds that had been going on in the background stopped suddenly. Claire seemed satisfied and sat down with an exasperated sigh.

"Did Angel teach you those words?" To that, he got an outstretched tongue and fake glare. It only made him laugh harder which in turn made Claire laugh as well. Her hair fell in her face, showcasing her longer white bangs. "Have you dyed your hair again?" He asked as the laughter recceded.

"No actually. About a week back I woke up with my hair like this. I think it's a delayed effect of breaking my shadow staff. How are you and Angel doing?" Claire asked.

Her smile was genuine as was the question; Douxie could just see the other one burning in her eyes.

"I haven't found anything yet, Claire," he said it softly, as Claire's smile fell slightly, as her eyes flashed with disappointment. "I'm trying- really. But Merlin came up with the spell centuries ago and only tried it now and he never was in the habit of writing many things down-"

"It's ok, Douxie," Claire said, and ment it fully. "Jim is doing good. Yeah, he misses walking in the sun and eating regular food, but he's sorta embraced being a troll. Though, the armor is a bit of a problem. You got any ideas on how to get it off?"

"Um, no... are- are you sure?" Claire chuckled at Douxie's insistence on the matter, and how willing he was to help. Considering that Merlin wasn't trying at all and dissuaded any attempts before Jim asked her to stop trying so hard, it was nice to know he cared.

"It's fine, Douxie. I promise." He didn't seem convinced, so she went to distracting him, something she'd had oddles of practice with if the fact that Mary and Angel still hung out were any indication.

. . .

The arrow shot past the dark wood of the tree root Flapjack was perched on, embedding itself in the grass. The afformentioned bird chirped angrily at the girl who had let it loose, the arrow having come too close for comfort.

"Sorry FJ," Angel winced, pushing her hair behind her ear. She still hadn't found the time to trim it again or dye it, so it was now at the end of shoulders and her dirty blonde roots were showing. "Maybe I should try a different weapon."

"Don't be so hard on yourself," Elsa said as she put a hand on her shoulder. Her voice had a slight norwegian accent, but it had faded over the centuries just like her sister's. "You just started."

"I still can't believe you know how to shoot a bow and arrow. I pictured you for a more magic wielder type of fighter." Angel demonstrated by pulling a maroon glow to her hand. Elsa chuckled, a breathy type of laugh, and Angel let the magic turn misty as it disappeared. Elsa's blues eyes shined as she looked to the sky, lost in a memory. It was the same look Douxie and the rest of band got from time to time. She had even seen Merlin have it at least once.