If I Surrender

"Why did you go and do something as daft as that?" Douxie asked the moment they had gotten back to the apartment.

Angel had dealt with his condescension long enough today already. She didn't even care that he was sick at the moment. "Oh, right it's so 'daft', stoppin that asteroid."

"No, it's not- I'm just saying it wasn't the best-"

"If you're gunna say there was another way, then-"

"There could have been!" She rolled her eyes.

"Tronos was failing, due to Kubritz and her dumbass torture chamber no doubt. I swear if I see her again..."

"I completely agree on that particular point. But you don't know that he was failing."

"The laser wasn't even firin yet, and we didn't have time to wait and see if he would! Even your precious 'Master' said it was likely the best option." Douxie glared for a moment before groaning and pinching his nose. "What, is teaching me magic finally startin to backfire on ya?"

"Maybe.." Douxie muttered.

Angel tilted her head, not hearing him fully. He wouldn't..."What?"

"I said maybe it was!" He snapped. The moment the words left his mouth, his face fell ill. But the damage was done.

Angel disappeared immediately, the door opening and slamming a good indicator that she had left. Archie hardly said anything before Douxie was out the door. Flapjack had disappeared with her, pecking at his head before going after her. Even Archie had stalked off at his words.

He had taken his motorcycle a little further into the woods than he should have just to get to the gazebo sooner.

Before their argument, at Jim's house, Merlin had gotten on the phone with them, examining her injuries as best he could and listening to the story. In the end, he concluded that her magic would be forever crippled in some way.

It was hard to remember the way to her gazebo after two months of not visiting the place and his worry for her now. When he broke through the veil to find nothing, he immediately panicked and tried to call her. She didn't answer.

"Oh, not this again," He muttered as he ran back the way he came, taking a detour down her route. Hopefully she had just chosen to walk instead of teleporting or flying-

Right. Who knew if she still had those abilities. Breathing harder, especially with his clogged nose and sore throat, he slowed down. How long had he been out there? The sun was nearly set and he had only left at noon.

Was there a storm or something? The clouds seemed to be churning around him closer and closer... And closer.

Douxie's eyes widened as his nose cleared and his throat was no longer sore. "Oh no."

Hisirdoux! What have you done?!

. . .

Angel kicked a stone down the path, letting herself become visible at last. "I can't fly, I can't teleport, and I can't slow anything down. I'm just a stupid girl who can only turn invisible," she muttered. She examined her bandaged arms in the noon light before sighing.

Flapjack chirped empathetically as she wiped a tear from her eyes. "I'm useless. Ow! Stop that!" Flapjack had started pecking and pulling At her hair, chirping wildly in protest. "Ok, ok! I'm not useless! I'm not useless!"

Flapjack stopped and landed on a nearby branch. The anger radiating off him didn't subside.

Chirp, chirp!