✧ FAI ON I-LAND ✧

Fai on I-Land

Ep 6

It may seem odd that Fai was appearing on as a mentor for a boy group survival show, especially as she was the complete opposite as a Female Soloist. However she has always been known as an idol who helps other idols, always available to give others feedback when it came to their performances. She was known as one who never held back.
It was only fitting that she would come on as a mentor, especially as Bighit wanted some publicity for the show.

"I'm sorry guys," Fai stepped into the room filled with excited trainees, "I'm not the most exciting mentor but I'm here to help."

Fai stood infront of them silent for a few seconds, taking in the trainees stood infront of her, "Now I understand when people say they're shocked to see celebrities. I've only seen you guys on TV, it's weird to see you in front of me. It doesn't feel like you guys are real."

"I know it seems a bit weird that I'm here especially as I'm a soloist and you guys are training to become a group. I hope that doesn't make you believe my advice is invaluable," Fai took a look down to her cue cards then cleared her throat, "As you know, only 6 will survive after the forth test. Since that's the rule, please make sure you show your best. How long have you guys been practicing for?"

"3 days," Fai heard a trainee answer.

"So this is a midpoint check." Fai checked her notes, "Who's doing Part 1?"

"Me," K raised his hand up.

"K," Fai noted down, "Part 2?"

"Me," Heesung raised his hand up.

"Heesung," Fai repeated, she went down the list noting down who took each part, "What about part 12?"

"Me," Kyungmin raises his hand up.

"Okay Kyungmin," Fai looked up after she was done writing down, "For part 12: Even if your part is short, it's important to take it, use the time to your fullest advantage and showcase all your skills well. Whereas, if you have a longer part like Jungwon doing part 5 and you're unable to interpret it well, trust me people will notice. The long part may sound nice, but it really could end up working against you."

Fai walked over the speakers, "Is there anything you guys want to add?" The silence in the room felt loud, it was evident the trainees were intimidated, "Okay... Then let's start."

Fai took a step to watch the group perform the song I&credible. As Fai was concentrating her face couldn't help but stay emotionless as they performed.

Once the song ended Fai started to speak, "Did you guys forget about me?"
This was the last thing the trainees thought Fai would open with.
"It felt like you guys weren't performing to me. I'm stood right here, but no one looked at me instead you looked right past me like I didn't exist. Yes we're in the practice room, but this isn't practice this is an evaluation and you should treat it as such. Perform to me, look at me and try to appeal to me. There was nothing in this performance that was appealing to me. I can't give feedback if you don't perform to me."

"Sorry," The trainees bowed. 

"No don't apologise. Let us take a few minutes and you guys perform again."

Fai let the trainees go off to take a few minutes break, them talking amongst themselves. She took the minutes writing down notes.

Once a few minutes had passed Fai announced the break had ended, "Keep in mind who you're performing to and what you're trying to convey."

Fai stayed silent for a couple of seconds once the trainees completed their performance. She took a step back to think about where they can improve and how to word it, "Hmm. This is interesting."

"I get that this may come off a little bit harsh, but just bear with me. Please understand that these comments come from a place where I want you guys to succeed and put on a good performance. I don't want you to be in a situation where you finish performing and you have a lot of regrets," Fai started to say.

"For the sake of your performance, I believe you guys should think about your positions wisely. Part 5...It's too early for Jungwon to command  stage, he could go later when he learns and gains more experience. For now, it should go for someone who can do it."

Fai stayed silent for a while, debating whether she should say what she wanted to. She went ahead and did it anyways, she knew the trainees would appreciate the criticism eventually, "Right now, there are 12 of you in this room and maybe if I stretch it out a bit, three of you are ready to debut. You're all competent dancers, great even. But this is an idol competition. You've all reached this far because it's presumed you're ready to debut soon, but the quality of performance I'm seeing doesn't match that."

"I just want to remind you guys that even if you find yourself weak in a certain aspect whether it be vocals or dance, it's important that you make up for it with your performance. Appeal to the viewers with your expressions.
I want you guys to collectively understand the lyrics and decide what message it is you want to convey and how. Once that is established, you'll be able to perform so much better."

"I know all I've said seems scary, but you guys have a lot of time. You have four days and you guys work hard so you'll definitely be able to salvage this." Fai put her cue cards and notes down on the floor, "Everyone pair up, each pair will perform to me and I'll give feedback to each person."

Fai stayed on set with the trainees for a while, she made sure she critique and help every single one of them. She even ended up changing a bit of the choreography which she found was lacking. Fai ended up leaving set absolutely hating the song I&credible, but the trainees ended up putting on a good performance by the end of it.

— — —

FunkWav's thoughts

I wanted to make this longer but it took so long to get through this.

also, check out a new book a published! i'd really appreciate it even if you only read one chapter :)