chapter seventeen || 17

nyctophilia; (n.) love of darkness or night, finding relaxation or comfort in the darkness

The hall fills with people screaming from left to right, scurrying out the exits and frantically running away from the repeated gunshots

I stand in shock, unable to move and Vittorio grabs my hand and pulls me towards the bar and tells me to hide behind the counter. I immediately do what he says, and Rayne not far behind.

I tried making a hand gesture for them to see me, but their heads were turned the other way. "Roman! Take Rayne out quickly but go through the back exit, they haven't blocked that yet." I hear Camilo shout before he goes running to help Vittorio.

Camilo probably didn't see me, and I can't really tell him now it would be too risky.

Rayne and Roman quickly run out of the hall from the exit, and I peek my head out the side of the counter to see practically everyone has left and there are four men all dressed in a dark blue suit uniform.

Vittorio and Camilo stand a little closer to the bar but not too close, maybe since Vittorio knows I'm hiding here.

The older men standing before them, start speaking between themselves in a hushed foreign tongue.

Maybe Russian? I can't tell.

The man speaks, "разбросайте и попытайтесь найти их." The rest of them nod and all spread apart, as if they're looking for something.
[translation: Spread out, and try find them.]

I see Vittorio's hand gesturing towards somewhere and I look over to see a small storage room that's next to the counter so I quickly open the door as they couldn't see me because there was a pillar in the way.

I close the door behind me and look through the keyhole which gives me a clear view of Vittorio talking to the Russian man.

The one at the front, who I'm assuming is the leader since he stands out the most and gave the rest the orders, is dressed without a blazer and his brown hair has been set in a buzz cut. His ears pierced with dangling cross earrings along with a chain around his neck.

His eyes giving not too much, but a brooding sense of discomfort.

He seems quite tall, but Vittorio and Camilo easily tower over him. He walks up closer to them so that they're face to face while the rest have gone around the hall.

His thick Russian accent becomes visible in his speech, "Vittorio Russo. How nice to see you again. I hope you realise why I'm here." He says, with a smirk.

"Don't even think about it, Dimitry." Vittorio clenches his jaw, obviously balling up his anger since his fists are closed tightly by his sides.

The man who's name I've come to know is Dimitry, circles around them both. "It's only a matter of time until I have both of them in my hands, then I can use their names for the family riches. You've heard this all before but I just came as a warning so you know what you're up against." He says sinisterly.