19. Friends

TW: TALK OF SUICIDE

~
I Heard a Rumor
~

SOMETIME IN 2001

"Number Eight, your powers are truly significant. It's not spineless powers that cause your failure, It's the diminutive mindset that restricts them from flourishing." Reginald lectured

Eight stood behind the thick glass of Reginald's restriction room. She found it quite inhumane how the entire room was glass, minus the small bathroom in the corner that had pony walls surrounding it. She felt like the test dummy for Reginald to toy with.

"You mustn't let your emotions get in the way of work. Tempestuous emotions like yours cause fatal endings." He hinted

Pogo stood by Reginald's side, eyeing the girl wearily.

"What do the rest think is wrong with me now?" Eight spoke loudly through the tempered glass.

Reginald dodged the question, "now eight, I want you to practice your mindfulness. It is the key to unlocking full potential."

"This is bullshit." She whispered turning away towards the dainty white mattress that sat in the middle of the glass 'cage.'

"Number eight I'm speaking to you!"

"I'm not deaf, I just don't listen to bullshit." She announced rather proudly.

Reginald sighed and whispered to pogo. Pogo nodded at whatever Reginald told him and walked away.

Reginald and eight were left in the depths of the basement. The silence was deafening. Eight could hear the running of her siblings from all the way upstairs.

"I'm not a lab rat for you to toy with, father." She sat cross crossed in the bed.

He inhaled sharply, "Comply to my demands. Once that has been done you may be let out with your siblings."

Eight scoffed, "My siblings? Some of the only things we have in common are trauma and a last name. They are not my siblings."

"Call them whatever you please number eight, my demands have been explained. If you shall not listen, then you will stay here alone." Reginald walked out of the room to the hidden elevator.

Eight sighed defeated.

~

PRESENT TIME

Eight had been the first person at fives side when he awoke from his sleep.

She stood on the side of his bed as he groggily got himself together on the other side of the room.

He slowly changed into clean clothes. Eight took in his appearance from the back.

He put on grey sweatpants and a tight white cotton T shirt. It fit his body perfectly, hugging his prominent shoulder and stomach muscles.

When he turned to face the girl he only scowled. Eight was confused by his sudden hostility.

As he walked out of the room he brushed shoulders with eight roughly. She scoffed and stood in his room for a few extra moments puzzled.

Eight jogged out of the room and called out to five who was about to start descending a set of stairs, "did I do something?"

Five laughed breathily, "did you do something?"