Chapter 8

Sure enough, what the guard handed over was one package of the sleeping medicine and not a small amount of money.

Nurse Dou and Madam Du's faces were white.

They couldn't figure out how these people had managed to find Wuzhou and Wang. Weren't they supposed to leave Sheng, why were they found?

Wei Kun crushed the bank notes and the medicine in his hands, that were trembling with anger. He waved the items then threw them at Nurse Dou and Madam Du, "What is this? Do you have anything else to say!"

A madam, who rarely went outside the residence, unexpectedly kept this kind of thing on her. Obviously, her conscience wasn't clear.

Wei Kun was both furious and disappointed. What was more, he felt sorry to Wei Luo. These years, he had thought Madam Du was taking care of Ah Luo very well, going along with any of her wishes, showing how much she loved her all the time. But he hadn't considered that she would be hiding such evil intentions. If Ah Luo hadn't been rescued today, she would've been sold to the slave traders. That small child, who had only turned six earlier this year, was well-behaved and sensible. Just what kind of ruthless heart would hate her?

Wei Kun grew more and more uncomfortable, his heart heavy. He couldn't stop himself thinking of Jiang Miaolan. If she was still here, if she hadn't gone, Ah Luo wouldn't be in the current situation... He would properly love the mother and daughter pair, making sure nothing would harm them... He was so in love with her, why had she left?

With so many years since then, he'd believed his love for Jiang Miaolan had faded, only resentment remaining. But the truth was, he still loved her. Loved her brighter than the sun smile, her gentle and passionate eyes, and her whimsical nature. She had taken root in his heart, and nothing could uproot her for as long as he lived.

She had appeared in his life without a warning, but it had never crossed his mind that she would leave the same way, without a trace.

Since then, whenever he saw Ah Luo and Changhong, he would think of her.

Wei Kun was in pain, his back hunched over as if he had suddenly aged several years. Standing up, he said to the fourth madam: "As soon as father and mother come back, fourth sister-in-law, please help me tell them, Madam Du is not virtuous, and her heart is malicious..." Closing his eyes, he said resolutely: "I want to divorce her."

His words were like thunder, exploding in the gathered people's ears, startling even the meddlesome third madam Liu.

Shocked, Madam Du staggered back a few steps. If it wasn't for Nurse Dou holding her in place, she would've collapsed on the ground.

Divorcing wasn't a minor incident. Coupled with Wei Kun's accusations, it was enough to give her a reputation of a vicious wife. If she wanted to remarry afterwards, it wouldn't be easy. Not to mention her own daughter's reputation would be implicated, also affecting her future marriage.

Moreover, Madam Du was the maternal niece of Count Zhongyi's madam, she was backed up by the Count of Zhongyi's house. Duke Ying and Count Zhongyi were good friends for many years. Even if Wei Kun wanted to divorce her, it wouldn't go so easily.

Nurse Dou crawled on her hands and feet, hanging onto Wei Kun's foot, and wept noisily as she begged for mercy: "Master, please investigate this issue thoroughly, Madam is innocent... Madam wasn't aware of anything, it was all planned by this old servant, the madam isn't related to it... Begging Master to think it over..."

Madam Du looked at her dumbfounded. She hadn't expected that at the critical moment, Nurse Dou would take the fall to save her.

Speaking of it, Nurse Dou was truly loyal to Madam Du. The two of them, master and servant, had a close relationship. Nurse Dou was Madam Du's wet nurse, as Madam Du's parents had perished early. Since childhood, she had been placed in Count Zhongyi's residence with only Nurse Dou as a devoted servant. Nurse Dou had raised her, hence their feelings could be compared to those of any mother and daughter.