Chapter 41

At this time, the sky was already dark. The mountain was far away and the path there was rugged. And it was likely that they might meet danger. In a blink of an eye, there was already a great distance between him and Wei Luo. Zhao Jie could only gesture to Zhu Geng to catch up to her.

In a few jumps, Zhu Geng caught up to Wei Luo and was firmly blocking her path.

Wei Luo was currently extremely anxious and had no time to explain. She pushed him and said, "Let me pass."

For every moment that she was delayed, the more likely that Ah Dai would be in danger. Who knew how long they ago they had left their house? Have they already started the ceremony? If she was too late, Ah Dai might already be buried alive!

But, Zhu Geng was an unmovable as a mountain. She couldn't push past him no matter how hard she tried. If she moved in a different direction, he would follow her direction to intentionally stop her. Ah Luo raised her head to fiercely glare at him. Just as she had grabbed his hand and was about to bite down, Zhao Jie caught up to them.

His slender fingers blocked her small mouth and his beautiful voice calmly asked, "Ah Luo, where do you want to go?"

Wei Luo had brought them here for a reason that only she knew, so she knew that she had to provide them with a reasonable explanation. Otherwise, this wouldn't be justifiable no matter what. However, it was still too early. It was more important to save Ah Dai first. She hesitatingly looked at Zhao Jie like a small beast that wanted to escape its shackles. After a long time, she said, "Up the mountain."

Zhao Jie looked her in the eyes and slowly nodded, and then he held her hand, "Okay, this prince will bring you there."

A sense of uncertainty existed in his heart. He had asked what she was planning, but she didn't reveal anything. It was only now that he knew why she asked him to come with her. It was because she wouldn't have been able to get here by herself. Then the question was, how did she know this place and why was she so familiar with it?

She was Duke Ying's fourth miss. Normally, she lived a secluded life. Other than her home and the palace, she rarely went anywhere else. She shouldn't have previously come to such a place.

Zhao Jie looked at the little girl in front of him. Her dark eyes were gloomy and cold. While holding his hand, she was trembling slightly as if she was trying to conceal her emotions. She was always hiding things in her heart instead of telling other people. She was clearly only seven or eight years old, but her thoughts were deeper than anyone else's. When she had been standing outside that house's doorway, her little shoulders had dropped. She looked so pitiful and frail. He almost couldn't resist stepping forward to hug her.

What was she hiding?

Zhao Jie recovered his senses and went back to looking forward.

It was nightfall and the mountain forest was quiet. Zhu Geng was holding up an oil lamp while he walked behind them. The faint light illuminated the path beneath their feet and stretched into the deepest part of the mountain forest. There was a thick layer of snow beneath their feet and their feet would sink into the snow as they took each step. It was a very difficult walk, but Wei Luo didn't express any complaint. She tightly held his hand and didn't say a word as they progressed further into the woods. The trees blocked the moonlight and he couldn't see the expression on her face.

Wei Luo had been walking forward using her memories as a guide, but she overestimated herself. That day had been too chaotic and she had been too fully occupied to remember the path. When she was going up the mountain, her red wedding veil had covered her head. When she was descending the mountain, she had been fleeing wildly. So, at this moment, after walking this far, she didn't know which direction to go and was spinning around in place.