Chapter 160

The receiving room was crowded with guests that were as numerous as the clouds. Marquis Guang Xin was warmly welcoming Zhao Jie, who was sitting in the highest seat. He held up his wine cup and fawningly said, "A toast to Prince Jing. This household has been greatly honored by the prince's presence today."

Zhao Jie turned the wine cup in his hand and smiled with waning interest, "The marquis is too polite. This prince only came here to accompany the princess consort."

The implication of these words was that he could care less about Marquis Guang Xin. If it weren't because of his princess consort, he wouldn't have come here.

Marquis Guang Xin's old face stiffened. He smiled with embarrassment and said, "The prince and princess consort are truly a harmonious and affectionate couple." But, in his mind he thought, this Prince Jing was exactly as rumors had described him, very difficult to get along with. He had originally planned on seeking refuge with this prince. He had hoped that Zhao Jie would look after his descendants in the future for him, but right now, this matter seemed like it was a thorny problem.

Zhao Jie didn't express an opinion. He raised his wine cup and drank the wine in one gulp. Looking at the sky, it was time to leave more or less. He wanted to say his goodbyes and leave with Wei Luo. He originally hadn't wanted Wei Luo to come to this one-month-old birthday.

Although the marquis's family had Chen as their last name, this family didn't have much contact with Empress Chen. Old Marquis Guang Xin and Empress Chen's paternal grandfather had split their families several decades ago. Up to this day, the two families rarely interacted with each other. Even Empress Chen wasn't happy with Marquis Guang Xin's attempt at using old family connections to curry favor. When Marquis Guang Xin's attempts had reached Zhao Jie, Zhao Jie didn't even want to bother with dealing with this.

Zhu Geng came inside through the doorway. His expression looked complicated as he walked to Zhao Jie's side. He leaned over and whispered a few words.

Zhao Jie's face immediately sunk. He stood up and said, "Bring this prince over there."

Marquis Guang Xin followed behind them. Not understanding the situation, he asked, "Your Highness, what happened?"

Zhao Jie wasn't in the mood to pay attention to him. He hastened his steps towards the back of the residence.

Marquis Guang Xin, who had been left behind, had a head full of sweat. His line of sight met the confused gazes of the remaining guests. He smiled as he apologized to the other guests, then he also left the receiving room. Just as he arrived at the doorway, a servant had hurriedly rushed over here and whispered a few words into his ears.

Shortly afterwards, Marquis Guang Xin's face paled and he hurriedly said, "Hurry and bring this marquis over there to see."

The servant led him towards the back of the residence.

-----

Wei Luo unhurriedly woke up inside a guest room. She leaned against a large, decorative pillow as she slowly returned to her senses and remembered what happened before she fainted. She raised her eyes and looked in the direction of the bedside. First young madam Huang-shi was standing near the bed. Wei Bao Shan was standing in front of a cabinet. That second young master had disappeared. He was probably hiding. Jin Lu and Bai Lan were keeping watch and standing by the bedside. As soon as they saw that she had woken up, they hurriedly called out, "Your Highness, you're finally awake."

Seeing that Wei Luo had woken up, Huang-shi let out a sigh in relief. She walked forward and said, "Your Highness, you suddenly fainted and wouldn't wake up. This one has already ordered people to summon a doctor. The doctor will be here soon. Your Highness, are you feeling unwell?"