Chapter 141

The capital had a festive atmosphere for New Year's Eve. From house to house, there were large red lanterns hanging at the front doorways and papers pasted on the sides of the doorways. There was a celebratory poem written vertically down on these papers. The first verse of the poem was "The people will live in peace during this country's golden age." The second verse of the poem was "The weather will be favorable for crops. Praise the splendid New Year."

A vermillion-lacquered carriage with a domed umbrella-like roof and two horses at the front passed through the streets. There were few children wearing cotton-padded jackets and holding firecrackers. After lighting a firecracker, they smiled as a firecracker was thrown in the carriage's path.

Before the firecracker could make any sounds, a small flying stone extinguished the spark on the firecracker.

The children looked at each other in dismay. None of them understood what had happened.

--------

It was noon when Wei Luo and Zhao Jie returned to Prince Jing's residence. The steward had managed the residence well. Although the owners had been gone for a month, the residence was in perfect order and there wasn't any difference between now and when they had left. Inside and outside, everything was neat and clean.

After Wei Luo and Zhao Jie hurriedly ate lunch, Wei Luo went to the cleansing room to take a bath. Then, she changed into a clean set of clothes and fell asleep as soon as she lied down and her head touched the pillow. In order to return here sooner, they rarely stopped to rest on the way here. Wei Luo didn't complain much despite how tiring the journey had been.

After Zhao Jie freshened up, he looked at Wei Luo's sleeping face and leaned over to kiss her forehead. Then, he turned around and went to the study. He called over Yang Hao and Steward Wang, asked them what happened in the capital recently, and handled some official work. When he raised his head again to look at the sky, it was time to light the lamps. It was soon be time to go the palace to attend the family banquet.

Zhao Jie returned to the bedroom to wake up Wei Luo, "Little fellow, wake up."

Wei Luo was feeling very sleepy. At this moment, she didn't want to wake up at all. She whimpered and retreated her head into the quilt like a kitten that was acting cutely spoiled. Zhao Jie couldn't help laughing. He rarely saw her showing such a pitiful appearance. He lifted the quilt that was covering her head, leaned over, and kissed her little mouth.

Wei Luo couldn't breath because of his kisses. She used both of her hands to push him away. She was completely awake now. Feeling both angry and helpless, she asked, "What are you doing?"

Zhao Jie pinched her small face and felt that the sensation of touching her smooth and tender skin was really enjoyable. "A certain small creature was acting spoiled and wouldn't get up. Husband couldn't wake her up and could only use this method."

Wei Luo slowly sat up, gathered up her long hair, and didn't go along with his mischievousness. "Go and tell Jin Lu and Bai Lan to come inside."

5PM had just recently passed. It wasn't too late yet. There were still two more hours before the palace banquet. Wei Luo sat down in front of a bronze mirror and brushed her hair. She had just woken up, so her mind wasn't very clear. She used a soft brush to apply a thin layer of jasmine pearl powder on her face. It greatly improved her complexion and spirit. She went behind the divider to change clothes.

When about an hour had passed, she saw that Zhao Jie was spying on her when she turned around. He was leaning against the door with his arms crossed and smiling at her.

Wei Luo walked to his side. Feeling somewhat uneasy, she asked, "Why are you smiling?

Zhao Jie scratched her nose, then he held her hand and started walking outside. "I'm smiling because my Ah Luo is becoming more and more beautiful, to the point that I can't look away."