Chapter 142

The princes had sharp eyes and already saw that the situation was amiss. The sound of their chattering suddenly quieted down and they also temporarily stopped making toasts and drinking. They quietly looked at the emperor and empress. Normally, a consort shouldn't attend this type of family gathering. However, Noble Consort Ning had become more and more favored during the past years and Emperor Chong Zhen had given her a rare honor by allowing her to attend. This was why she was able to proudly sit here.

Emperor Chong Zhen put down his xi jiao cup that was decoratively carved with pine trees, bamboo stalks, and plum trees. The smile on his face had completely vanished. He half turned his body towards Empress Chen's direction and said, "The banquet is only half over. If the empress leaves, what will these children think?"

Seeing that Empress Chen's expression didn't look good, he changed his tone and said, "If you're really not feel well, an imperial doctor should be immediately called over without delay to check."

"Thank you for your concern, Your Majesty. This consort is just feeling dizzy and will feel better after resting for a bit. It's not serious." Empress Chen's words were as deferent as usual, but there wasn't any warmth in her eyes. It was as if she viewed talking to Emperor Chong Zhen as only a type of duty. She didn't smile until she looked at Wei Luo and said, "Ah Luo, help me walk back. We haven't seen each other in a while. I have words that I want to say to you."

Wei Luo looked at Zhao Jie. Afterwards, she obediently stood up, walked to Empress Chen's side, and supported her with her arm. "Sure, daughter-in-law also has things to say with imperial mother."

Emperor Chong looked at the two of them walking away and suddenly felt that this family banquet had become dull. His expression slightly sunk, but he didn't say a word.

Zhao Jie arranged for two people to follow after Wei Luo and Empress Chen and protect their safety.

Seeing that mood had become stiff, Ninth prince Zhao Zhen suggested that everyone think of a phrase with the prompt being "New Year". Emperor Chong Zhen didn't voice an opinion and seemed to tacitly agree. As a result, the princes and princesses racked their brains to think of something. If they could think of a good phrase and gain Emperor Chong Zhen's favor, it would be the absolute best.

Ninth prince confidently started, "An impoverish era is setting, the opening of a beautiful season."

After ninth prince, it was twelfth prince. Twelfth prince was young, so he used a famous poet's words, "The sound of firecrackers ends a year, the spring breeze brings warmth."

The other princes also said their lines. When it was Zhao Jie's turn, he turned the wine cup in his hand and indifferently said, "Keeping guard until the bells ring, holding a candle to welcome the New Year."

Although the words were simple, he continued to speak in an uninhibited and heroic manner,

"The winter air longs for the arrow, the spring scenery waits for the rooster's cries, Losing interest in the overflowing jar, observing over the fence,
There will be a thousand years, paying respect at the emperor's door."

Emperor Chong Zhen nodded.

After a few rounds of this poetry game, seventh prince was the one that was fined the most. Emperor Chong Zhen commented, "It seems that old seven has been slacking in his studies. Even little twelve is doing better than you."

Seventh prince was so ashamed that his entire face was flushed. "This imperial son has failed to meet imperial father's expectations and will definitely painstakingly study after returning home. Won't..."

Emperor Chong Zhen waived his hand. He didn't feel like continuing to listen to these words, "Never mind. You only have a mouth that says things without following through. Just sit down."